Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
wendellmoine
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Wendell Moine

Poor backup copy performance

Post by wendellmoine »

Hello, Our primary backup target is a Data Domain using DDBoost. I have backup copy jobs running to copy to Tegile Intelliflash storage array. The performance is very poor on the backup copy jobs. All running on a 10 GB network. Only getting up to <30 MB/s on the backup copy jobs.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: Poor backup copy performance

Post by Rick.Vanover » 1 person likes this post

Hi Wendell - I have seen similar situations like this. Is it possible to test the same configuration to a different primary backup target (backup job of same contents and a backup copy job of same configuration, sourced from this other backup job)? Data Domain Boost helps primarily on getting data into the appliance. Taking data out of, for a backup copy job for example, incurs some reading of the data to create the VBK on the Intelliflash.

Part of me wants to ask if reversing the configuration is possible, I'm sure you'd get much better performance. That would be something like a backup job with a very few number of restore points (maybe as little as 2) going to the Intelliflash, then a Backup Copy Job for much longer retention on the Data Domain.