Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dfournout
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Didier FOURNOUT

Port needs between Repositiry Server and Esx Nodes

Post by dfournout »

I'm trying to backup a VM to a repository server on an offsite site. As it's not working, I've done investigation and I've found that it's due to port communication 902 rejected on our firewalll between the Veeam Repository Node and the ESX nodes ?!
I don't understand because the documentation (page 58-59) is saying that this port need to be open for the Backup Server and the proxy node not for the repository server.
My understanding was there is not no direct connection between the Repository server and Esx Nodes.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Port needs between Repositiry Server and Esx Nodes

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Didier,

902 port shouldn't be used by the Veeam repository server unless this repository also acts as a proxy server which retrieves VM data. Could you please tell me if you see any network traffic flowing through this port while running the backup job?

Thanks!
dfournout
Novice

Post by dfournout »

I confirm that the repository server (which do not have any other role than vPowerNFS) is trying to connect on the ESXi node using the port 902. I see a connection from the proxy server to the ESXi node but it's not staying open a long time.

The only proxy server I have is installed on the same machine as the backup server. I even tried to force the proxy rather than using the automatic mode.
When I doing a backup on the local repository I've got no problem.
dfournout
Novice

Post by dfournout »

As in my first test the source VM was not on the same ESX farm as my Veeam Backup/Proxy server, I've done a new test with a VM on the same farm.
I still have the problem and I'm seeing connection attempts from the repository server to the ESX Node on port 902.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Didier, thank you for bringing this in, I will try to confirm this behavior in our labs and will verify why repository tries to connect to the ESXi host via 902 port (which shouldn't happen under normal conditions). Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Didier, it seems like under rare conditions this port is in fact used by the repository agent to verify additional information about the VM being backed up. This behavior should be fixed in the next updates. Thanks!