Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Possible problems while migrating VMs

Post by marius roma »

I am migrating several powered up VMs from existing datastores to new datastores.
To migrate VMs I use vSphere scheduled tasks that are scheduled to run during the night.
During the night I have as well Veeam backup and replicas.
What is supposed to happen if a task to migrate a powered up VM starts while the same VM is being backed up or replicated?
What is supposed to happen if Veeam B&R attempts to backup or to migrate a powered up VM while it is being migrated by a scheduled task?
Is there any risk to damage the VM or can I safely ignore any possible conflict?
Obviously I can stop backup and replica jobs while migrating the VMs, but I want to do so only if there is any real danger...
Regards
marius
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Possible problems while migrating VMs

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Mario,
marius roma wrote:What is supposed to happen if a task to migrate a powered up VM starts while the same VM is being backed up or replicated?
Please review this VMware KB for more details > http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1035550
marius roma wrote:What is supposed to happen if Veeam B&R attempts to backup or to migrate a powered up VM while it is being migrated by a scheduled task?
Backup job will fail, since it is not possible to create a snapshot when VM is being migrated.
marius roma wrote:Is there any risk to damage the VM or can I safely ignore any possible conflict?
No risk, but one task (migration or backup) against the same VM will be a recommended way.

Thanks!