Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Vodochnik
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: John

Post Job Activity

Post by Vodochnik »

Hi,

is there any way to make Post Job Activity Process visible to user? If I start say notepad.exe, it's starting from my user, is visible in Taskmanager, but i don't see notepad window. Any suggestions how to make it visible to currently logged in user?

Regards
Vod
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Post Job Activity

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi John,

Post-backup job script is triggered under the user account which is used to run Veeam backup service. I do not believe there is something you should do to make application "visible" on the screen, as this is controlled by the Windows itself.

Try to start any other application by the post backup job to see if you can reproduce this behavior or not.

Thanks!
Vodochnik
Enthusiast

Post by Vodochnik »

Hi Vitaliy,

sure i don't start notepad in post backup job, i start PS script to mount remote share and then GoodSync to copy locally created backup to remote host. I must read logs to know if job is done or not. Since i don't see the window of GoodSync.
I used notepad.exe just to describe the problem.

I've used process explorer from sysinternals and have noticed, that notepad.exe is above explorer.exe in process tree. Maybe it's an issue?

Regards
Vod
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I have performed a quick search and here is what I've figured out - by default, services use a noninteractive window station and cannot interact with the user desktop.

There is an existing MSDN article with more details:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx

Since Veeam B&R does trigger the post backup job script, then your PS script should also be triggered successfully (assuming it also works in interactive mode).
Vodochnik
Enthusiast

Post by Vodochnik »

Hi Vitaliy,

does Veeam B&R run in interactive mode per default?
I think i must check following:
Important All services run in Terminal Services session 0. Therefore, if an interactive service displays a user interface, it is visible only to the user who connected to session 0. Because there is no way to guarantee that the interactive user is connected to session 0, do not configure a service to run as an interactive service under Terminal Services or on a system that supports fast user switching (fast user switching is implemented using Terminal Services).

I do not see notepad.exe via RDP, will try to login via VM-Console and than post the results here.

Regards
Vod
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

When you're logged in to the computer, you're working in interactive mode. All services perform their tasks in non interactive mode.

Could you please tell me why do yo want to open GoodSync UI? Does your script work when you run it via PowerShell?