Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
williampu
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: William Pu

Pre-Freeze & Post-Thaw Account Requirements

Post by williampu »

Hi All,

I'm attempting to backup IBM Lotus Domino servers using pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts.
During the testing, I have noticed that the account used to connect to the Guest OS requires interactive logon access to copy the scripts onto the domino server for execution.
The scripts are configured in the Application-Aware processing tab for the job.
Is this really a requirement to have an account which has both admin level access and interactive logon access to the Guest OS just to run pre/post backup scripts?
I had a support call in (Case ID: 03301641) which support did confirm this. However, I want to check with other power users here to see if its a reality.

William
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Pre-Freeze & Post-Thaw Account Requirements

Post by wishr »

Hi William,

It is logical that to be able to change the state of a database in order to make a backup consistent it's always required to use a privileged account, isn't it? Otherwise, how you'll access the database to execute a script?

BR,
Fedor
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

You can use VMware Tools quiescense with default places of VMware Tools pre and post scripts. Then you do not need any account on the Veeam side.
(Disable Veeam Inguest processing, Enable VMware Tools Quiescense checkbox at the Backup Job with Storage - Advanced - VMware, place the script at the default VMware places.)
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1006671
williampu
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: William Pu

Post by williampu »

Thanks for the info Andreas, I will test it out and get back to you with how things go.

William