Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ivanildogalvao
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ivanildo Teixeira Galvão

Problems in Veeam 6

Post by ivanildogalvao »

Hello friends, okay?

I'm having a problem a little grave on a client that is using Veeam 6, first, it has a ESXi5 installed on a Dell T410 with two 1TB SATA drives in RAID-1, this server has a Windows Server 2008 VM with 600GB of size and a Debian Linux 150GB, starts when the Veeam backup, the rate of transfer of the files is very low, 12MB/S, the network is gigabit, the storage where Backup is stored is also Gigabit, Iomega's StorCenter is a , the Veeam backs up, but before long, but I happened to make mistakes and he did not finish the backup, so after six hours copying.

Second case: The Veeam create temporary snapshots of virtual machines, only you're not erasing, the worst is that the Datastore server with only 36GB is free, it is very, VMware tries to delete the snapshot, but not so in 92% of the case and locks the Windows Server 2008 virtual machine, just back to normal if we connect and hang up VMware again, this worries me a lot.

Can anyone here give me a hand with these cases, since now I'm very grateful!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Problems in Veeam 6

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

1. What does your bottleneck statistics show for the backup job in question?
2. Not sure I fully understand what you're trying to explain, but it looks like you're referring to this behavior: Snapshot removal issues of a large VM

Thanks!
ivanildogalvao
Enthusiast

Post by ivanildogalvao »

Regarding the first question, the backup is very slow, but I think it is due to the Backup Proxy, from what I understand, in Veeam Backup Proxy 6 is a novelty, but in this client the Veeam 6 is installed on a PC with Windows 7 300GB hard drive, the Backup Proxy is created by default on this record, ok? The VMS has a total of 700GB in size, so for what I understand, the VMS are far greater than the available space on the Backup Proxy, so the process is slow, right?

In the second case, the Veeam snapshots of virtual machines created but not deleted, this may have occurred at times that the backup failed, as he ended the process, not faded snapshots, this caused the problem of having only 22GB of free space HD in ESXi host and am trying to delete snapshots manually, only 22GB is very little room for VMware to use the information and thus commit the snapshots of VMDK VMDK to the page.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ivanildogalvao wrote:The VMS has a total of 700GB in size, so for what I understand, the VMS are far greater than the available space on the Backup Proxy, so the process is slow, right?
The amount of free space on the backup proxy does not matter. Make sure your proxy server is configured per our system requirements and does not starve on CPU resources while backup job is running.
ivanildogalvao wrote:In the second case, the Veeam snapshots of virtual machines created but not deleted, this may have occurred at times that the backup failed, as he ended the process, not faded snapshots,
Our subsequent backup job will automatically remove existing/orphaned snapshot left by a previous job run, so there is nothing to worry about.
ivanildogalvao
Enthusiast

Post by ivanildogalvao »

The first case, the slowness of the backups on a new client where you installed the day before yesterday, the Veeam is intalled on an IBM with Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 with 4GB of RAM, SATA hard drive with RAID-1, 300GB, 100Mbits 3com network, only the ESXi server is gigabit network, the storage of backups is connected at 100Mbits.

The second case, which is another customer who is also using Veeam on snapshots, in fact some backups failed, only that the Datastore server ESXi5 is currently with only 22GB free, it is hardly to be able to delete snapshots and commit the information in the delta vmdk vmdk principal of VMS, will be same as Veeam will be able to delete the snapshots in the next backup? I'm afraid the backup fails and the snapshot remain there and delta vmdk disk just growing up not having more space on the physical disk from the server.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Snapshot removal in a space constrained datastore is always a problem, you first of all need to setup alarms on datastore space consumption and do not go over about 80% usage, right because snapshots can fill up the free space.
To reclaim space, is a VMware activity and you will have to issue "Delete all snapshots" command. Since ESXi 4.0 U2 you don't need additional space (though the datastore still shouldn't be out of space when you perform actions on it).
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
ivanildogalvao
Enthusiast

Post by ivanildogalvao »

Well, I'm removing the snapshots manually at this point, I started with the VM is lower than a Linux proxy, are already two hours and the process is still at 60%, after that I will delete the VM snapshot of Windows 2008 which is much larger, but turn out the VM so that the process is faster, so I hope to free up more space on Datastore to at least 100GB free, for only 22GB is keeping very little.

For the storage of backup will not fill, I set retention policy in Veeam, right? Making the Veeam save up to 7 copies of VMS, even if the backup is done every day, but he does not care and all the space, using the policy of restraint, how can I set this up correctly?

Thanks again !
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

ivanildogalvao wrote:For the storage of backup will not fill, I set retention policy in Veeam, right? Making the Veeam save up to 7 copies of VMS, even if the backup is done every day, but he does not care and all the space, using the policy of restraint, how can I set this up correctly?
Don't you use forward incremental mode? Consider this topic for explanation on the number of restore points stored on disk while using this mode.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

ivanildogalvao wrote: the rate of transfer of the files is very low, 12MB/S,
ivanildogalvao wrote:The first case, the slowness of the backups on a new client where you installed the day before yesterday, the Veeam is intalled on an IBM with Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 with 4GB of RAM, SATA hard drive with RAID-1, 300GB, 100Mbits 3com network, only the ESXi server is gigabit network, the storage of backups is connected at 100Mbits.
According to my math 12 MB per second is the maximum speed you can have with 100 Mb network.
ivanildogalvao
Enthusiast

Post by ivanildogalvao »

The first issue, I just created a new backup routine for the client, as follows.
Reverse Incremental Backup every day, and he will do a full backup every month, always on the first Sunday of each month, as the restore points I configured to store only 5, I'm with the guide in PDF Veeam 6 here in my screen, from what I understood Veeam take care to remove the old incremental backups alone, to ensure that it remains only 5 restore points, I correct?

Regarding the second point, the speed of backups, I have another client that uses Veeam, it is a gigabit network, the iSCSI storage which stores the backups is also gigabit, the transfer rate is only 17MB / S, the computer where the Veeam is installed is a PC Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 32bit, is there anything here that needs to be improved to enable backups to gain more speed on the copy?

Thanks !
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

first: if you run with reverse incremental, you do not need full backup since every day a full backup is created and the old delta data are saved in the vrb files. If you want 5 restore points, simply set 5 restore points in the job, the old VRB files will be deleted as time goes.

second: we do not know which storage are you using, what Veeam is saying about bottlenecks in the job, and which connection type is being made to the storage (san or network).
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
ivanildogalvao
Enthusiast

Post by ivanildogalvao »

Ok, first case: Let me get this right. I mean that in the reverse incremental backup every day he will make a full backup? Or choose one day of Veeam semena to make a full backup and the other days he performs incremental?

Second case: The type of storage used is a Gigabit iSCSI Storage Iomega, there is a 1.2TB LUN attached to the computer where Veeam is installed.

Thanks !
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

Ivanildo, about your first question, reverse incremental does a full backup only on the first day, from there going on it only copies delta data and injects them into the full backup saved in the first day. It's well explained in the user guide.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
ivanildogalvao
Enthusiast

Post by ivanildogalvao »

Hello, thanks for the reply, I think the problem is more slowness in the network interface on the machine where Veeam is installed, because I have a client using Veeam 5 and transfer reaches 130MB / S, is Iomega iSCSI Storage, but the Veeam is an IBM server running Windows Server 2008.
On the client where the backup is very slow, Veeam is installed on a PC with Windows 7, with 2GB of RAM and a gigabit network card Encore Realtek, Realtek network card that is very weak in technology, and I think I can handle the Veeam this client is version 6, catching live backups, the client suggested today that install on a host Veeam better in one of the Dell servers that it has, in my opinion the PC with Windows 7 it ​​is bad.

As for the case of reverse incremental backup, entedi well as the operation of it and this is the kind I'm using more, keeping policy of retaining up to 10 restore points.
major5012
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Marshall Major

Post by major5012 »

You may want to check the write performace characteristics of your NAS. I was having some problems with VEEAM backups finishing in a timely manner and discovered that the problem was my little Buffalo Terastation NAS. The Buffalo is a nice device, HOWEVER, the write performance of that device was not sufficient for my VEEAM backups. During my research, I came across the website below and I found it very instructive....

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-charts/view

About six months ago, I purchased a Synology Disk Station DS1511 + (10 TB usable) and my backup problems went away. The Disk Station that I purchased writes data 2 to 3 times faster than the Buffalo Terastation. I just went to this website and found at least two StorCenter NAS devices and the write performance looks slow.

Best to you...
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

The Buffalo Terastation is slow when used in a SOHO environment, I can imagine in a production environment.. :)
The speed of the backup storage is often underestimated, people always look at disk space and not at performances. Thanks for reporting your experience!

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
ivanildogalvao
Enthusiast

Post by ivanildogalvao »

Thanks for the tip, the next projects I will be running with Veeam, I will suggest to my clients to purchase a Storage iSCSI best performance possible, and then facilitate backups and restores. Yesterday for example I tried to restore a Windows 2003 server virtualized on VMware ESXi 4.1, Veeam backed up these VM and 7 other VMS backup time satisfactory, but restoration takes a long time, very much, the customer now uses a StorCenter ix-2200, all servers have gigabit network interface and the gigabit network switch is also the brand 3Com, the client asked for explanation, asked why the restoration was so slow, I could not explain, as the network it is good.

So, from what I understand, the Rekem Veeam good storage for backups, storage with a good performance in reading and writing.

Thanks !