Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
fred-ux
Lurker
Liked: never

Problems using two proxies in one backup job

Post by fred-ux »

Hello,
I'm sorry, if my question is stupid but at the moment I try to scale up our backup environment with a second physical proxy.

Both proxies are connected to the 3par storage with SAN and with the second FC Adapter to a EMC Data Domain.

In the past, all backup jobs are configured to use the backup repository which belongs to the first proxy. Everything runs fine.

But now, I will scale up the concurrent tasks, and I set up a second physical proxy (same OS and Hardware). Now I don't know how to configure the Backup Job to use both proxies.

Is it possible to use two different Backup Repositories in one job?
Or may be a sharing of Repositories betwee tho proxies an option?

Many Thanks in Advance,
Friedemann
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Problems using two proxies in one backup job

Post by foggy »

Hi Friedemann, what do you mean by saying that backup repository "belongs to the first proxy"? What kind of repository it is?

Anyway, in case automatic proxy selection is enabled, both proxy servers will be used by the job. You cannot specify several backup repositories in the job and this is not required, each proxy will write processed data to the specified repository. Be it DDBoost repository or CIFS share, make sure automatic gateway selection and per-VM backup chains are enabled for the repository, in this case target data mover for each VM will be started on the proxy processing it and write directly to the repository, instead of redirecting data through another gateway server (though, all VM disks are written through a single gateway, so if VM has multiple disks, which are processed by different proxies, some of them will be transferred to a gateway server first).
fred-ux
Lurker

Post by fred-ux »

Hi,
many thanks for the reply!

I meant the repository is directly attached to the proxy.
The repositories are from type DDBoost. I created two storage units (represents simply a different folder) on the same Data Domain (I know this could impact performance in future) and configured both Storage units as repositories. Every repository is configured to use the proxy attached on. I want to avoid traffic going from working proxy to the other (gateway) where the the (in backup job) selected repository is attached.

I solved by splitting huge jobs into two for more parallelism.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This is also a viable approach, though requires some thorough planning to provide actual parallel processing.
phiaramos
Enthusiast
Full Name: Phia Ramos

Post by phiaramos »

Hi, I'm not sure if my question is related to this post, but I just want to ask if it's possible to use 2 or more backup proxies to process a single backup job?
I understand that I can manually choose more than one backup proxy to assign in a backup job configuration, but on the process, if I assigned 2 backup proxy in a single job, when I run this job, will it use both proxies at the same time? or will it just choose the best proxy at the scheduled time?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Both proxies will be used.