Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
hexadecimal
Influencer
Liked: 8 times

Processing Disk after CDP replica seed

Post by hexadecimal »

I've had issues getting a CDP job for our file server going to our DR site for almost a week. I'd initially created the CDP job and attempted to replicate the production VM, >6TB to our DR site however the largest of the drives was taking a significantly long time to read/copy over. We had an immutable copy at our DR site which has now been copied as the replica for the CDP job however, we are now seeing the VBR server state "Processing disk hard disk x" (0% done)"

This process is taking an extremely long time to complete. any thoughts on what this is?

I haven't created a ticket yet but have been back and forth with support on a couple of very recent previous tickets surrounding slow CDP replications. If needed I can create a ticket so this thread doesn't get deleted, however i'd just like some clarity on what the "Processing disk..." is.

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Processing Disk after CDP replica seed

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
We had an immutable copy at our DR site which has now been copied as the replica for the CDP job
could you maybe explain what that means? CDP is a "live" replication. "Live" is the opposite of "immutable" :-)

The time issue is something for support yes (please post the case number). If you permanently have issues with performance (you mentioned other tickets), then there is probably a lack of hardware. If you add a network diagram with all relevant components to the case, that would help troubleshooting.

"Processing disk" in general means, that the software is working on that disk. The question is, why it takes so long. Lack of hardware, configuration issue or software issue.

Best regards,
Hannes