Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MaxDes
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marc Vist

Protection Group vs Individual VM Backup

Post by MaxDes »

Benefits and pitfalls of using an individual VM backup vs dropping them ll in a protection group?

Also if the backup runs monday-thursday, but then I set a synthetic full day inside the same backup to friday, does that do anything? Or ill it skill the synthetic full because the backup doesnt run Fridays?

Cheers!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Protection Group vs Individual VM Backup

Post by PetrM »

Hi Marc,

1) Protection group is a container with computers that will be processed by Veeam Agent managed by Veeam B&R. The backup of individual VM is performed at vSphere level by leveraging VADP (VMware vStorage APIs for Data Protection) in all transport modes except backups from storage snapshots. One of the main difference is that in case of VM backup, data read and compression operations are moved to a proxy server and it allows you to save some CPU resources on the machine itself.

2) It will create a synthetic backup on Friday, I've just tested it.

Thanks!
MaxDes
Enthusiast

Post by MaxDes »

Oh thank you for that! Any way to change the time of the synthetic backup on friday to run at a different time than the backup job itself?

Oh ok, maybe I misspoke on the protection group. Maybe I should say a VM backup that contains multiple VM servers vs doing them individually with separate backup jobs?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Marc,

I suppose that you can make a PS script to have a separate schedule for Friday runs however I'm not sure what is the reason to do it?

The main advantage to have multiple VMs in a job is the simplicity of management: you don't create extra entities without real need. Also, if you add VMs by containers or folders into a job, every new VM which appears in such a container will be picked up automatically. The only reason to create a job with a single VM inside is the necessity to process this VM with unique settings which are not applicable for other VMs.

Thanks!
MaxDes
Enthusiast

Post by MaxDes »

If I have previously backed up a VM individually, but then want to move it to such a backup that has multiple VMs in it, is it possible to move the backups themselves as well (same repository) or do I start from scratch?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

No, backups previously created by single VM job cannot be attached to existing multiple VM job. Thanks!