Proxy... Proxy... But what IS IT ?

VMware specific discussions

[MERGED] Do on-host proxies improve backup times on VMware v

Veeam Logoby mikegodwin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:46 am

I understand that with VMware vSAN, the ideal case is to have one proxy located on each physical ESXi host so reading data is handled locally on each host. This reduces network traffic, but my question is, does this increase write throughput to the backup repository? I have more LAN bandwidth than I will consume (25Gb switches) so reducing some network traffic is not that important, but if I can reduce backup times by placing an on-host proxy on every ESXi host, then I will do that.
mikegodwin
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Godwin

Re: Do on-host proxies improve backup times on VMware vSAN?

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi Mike,

The main purposes of the backup proxy are to compress, dedupe and move backup data in a most optimal way to the target repository.
A physical proxy recommended only in case you are going to utilize Direct SAN transport mode.
In order to reduce backup time you should review bottleneck stats of the job and improve founded weak spot through bottleneck analysis.

Please review this existing thread for additional information. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Proxy... Proxy... But what IS IT ?

Veeam Logoby mikegodwin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Thank you for the reply. I believe VMware vSAN does not support Direct SAN transport mode, is that correct? From what I read it is advised to use appliance mode/hotadd, but to still have an on-host proxy on every ESXi host.

https://www.veeam.com/kb2273

Maybe in the end I will just need to try it with a proxy on each host and see if it improves performance significantly.
mikegodwin
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Godwin

Re: Proxy... Proxy... But what IS IT ?

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:27 am

mikegodwin wrote:I believe VMware vSAN does not support Direct SAN transport mode, is that correct?

That's correct.

Deploying proxies on each host is highly recommended, as it should allow achieving better performance and reducing the backup window. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere