Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
AirtonRMJ
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Airton Munaretto

Questions about Best Practices and implementation

Post by AirtonRMJ »

Hi Guys!

I'm pretty new here, we are implementing VBR and in that process a lot fo questions emerged, i'd like some help for take the rigth way for great administration and low maintece.

So...

Our scenario:
1 VCenter 7.1
3 Hosts
Arround 60 VM's running
1 NEW Storage dedicated for backup with 70TB

My firstly questions:

1° What are the best mode to implement VBR in our scenario, or what the marked normally do.
2° I created one group 'VCENTER' and add some server inside of that, is this a best practice? or maybe we need todo one group per VM? imo i belive separeted groups is for load balance time a network traffic, so i can put all Domain controllers im one vcenter group and put other server like SAP im another group rigth?
3° Im 'Backup Infrastructure' we have a lot of server, i belive that server was add incorectly, Managed server is a place to put only VBR Server rigth? proxy server is incorret to, anyone can confirm that information?

Any adicional information, i will be able to respond.
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: Questions about Best Practices and implementation

Post by rennerstefan »

Hi Airton

welcome to the Forum and thanks for choosing Veeam.

There are several best practices for several use cases. And with that it is hard to tell you here how to implement without knowing details about your environment, the required RTO/RPO, the hardware u use and the applications.

But I’ll try to answer in general:
1. most likely it will be best to run the VBR server as a VM und use one proxy VM per Host with hot add. Depending on what the backup target is there are different things to do.
2. the way how to design your backup jobs are really depending on your needs and expectations in as already mentioned. Not sure what „group“ you mean.
3. not sure I understand the question, please add some more details.

As said it would be good to know a little more.
But keep in mind, this is a R&D Forum so we can’t guide you through the whole design and implementation process via the forum.

Just respond with some details.

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
garba1980
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by garba1980 »

Hello everyone and thank you for the excellent service you provide.
In the company I came across a Ransomware about a year ago that made us despair. We then installed Veeam Backup & Replication v11 on Windows system for daily backup of 15 virtual machines located on Host vSphere 6.7.0.
In the Veeam configuration we have the following repositories:
Default backup repository (Windows type)
Hardened Linux Repository (Linux Type)
NAS SYNOLOGY (SMB Type)
NAS RDX SYNOLOGY (SMB Type)

An RDX cartridge unit is installed on the SYNOLOGY NAS that it can replace and replace every day.
We do not have copies in the cloud outside the main office, but the SYNOLOGY NAS is located in a building away from the server room. The two buildings are connected by fiber.
Do you think this could be a valid backup procedure?
Thanks a lot and I wish you good work.
Luca
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 2 people like this post

Hi Luca,

The setup looks fine.

I would recommend checking these two blog posts for additional information: first, second.

Thanks
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Post by rennerstefan » 1 person likes this post

Hi Luca,
it is very hard to answer the question if this is a valid procedure in a forum as we never know the real needs in terms of RTO, RPO and data security of your company.
Overall, based on what you write I think you are on a good track with having a Hardened Repository and also a copy in a different building that even has RDX connected to it as you even have a "offline" copy with that.
The thing is always, what is the process and time taken to get back online after something happens. But as said that depends on your needs.

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
garba1980
Novice

Post by garba1980 »

Thanks for your very quick replies :-)
Luca
garba1980
Novice

Post by garba1980 »

Hello everyone again, it's a pleasure to hear from you again. Our IT Manager has changed and he seems absolutely opposed to using HPE RDX because a cartridge may not work at the time of recovery, so he excludes the classic offline backup a priori. He suggests two ways: a Cloud Repository and a Network Repository (Qnap or Synology for example). What do you think? Thank you and good evening. Luca
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

None of those is actually offline so depends on what threat you're trying to prevent.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

> may not work at the time of recovery

This is true of any device though. There's no guarantee that iscsi shares, NFS shares, physical arrays, cloud providers, etc will work at time of restore and this isn't being nit-picky, it's just the truth.

This is why 3-2-1 is a key principle for backups; you have redundancy in case of that failure.

Can you be 100% sure that no one in your company will not accidentally clear out "all those junk files" in an S3 bucket that are actually your Veeam backups? Or that you 100% will never forget any of the secure encryption passwords for cloud storage items? Or that your Cloud Provider is 100% reliable all the time and is paying attention to controller and drive warnings on their storage?

The concern your boss raises isn't to be ignored, but the answer is redundancy, not seeking the 'perfect' solution, as there isn't one.

Spread those backups out cross multiple to reduce the risk.
garba1980
Novice

Post by garba1980 » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for your very quick replies :-)
Luca