Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
slaburda
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Stanislav Laburda

quick backup priority

Post by slaburda »

Hello,

Few days ago I solved situation when I needed to exclude one VM from regular backup job but I need to backed up VM using “Quick backup” at specific time.

I added an “no backup” exception for VM in regular backup job and after that I run “Quick backup”. Unfortunately quick backup failed with reason “20. 2. 2018 20:11:42 :: Quick Backup cannot be performed for the following VMs: 'xyz'” . Quick backup take over configuration from regular backup even with exception and failed.

After removing “no backup” exception backup job start but waiting for infrastructure resources, because many regular backup jobs running during backup window.

I have a questions:
1. Is it possible to ignore regular backup exceptions for “quick backup”? - When I run quick backup I know that I need to run it :)

2. Is it possible to set maximum priority for “quick backup” (also for restore)? – It is “quick backup” so I expect that backup get maximum priority before standard backup jobs.

Thank you for your reply.

Best regards
Stanislav Laburda
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: quick backup priority

Post by PTide »

Hi,

1. What's the point in keeping excluded VM in the job if you don't want the job to process that VM?

2. Actually Quick Backup already has priority over backup job - if quick backup is already running then backup job will wait for it to finish. How do you expect the backup job to act if quick backup is stared? Should it be cancelled (which of many?), halted or something else?

Thanks
slaburda
Enthusiast

Post by slaburda »

Hi,
thanks for replay.

1. In some situation You don’t need to backup VM on regular base but time to time you need special backup

2. I mean situation, If you run “quick backup” (or restore job) in time when many backup jobs running or waiting for resources (in backup windows it is normal situation). It would be good to Veeam can hold some reserve resourec for this or for example pause scheduled running jobs.

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

1. Then why not to place it in a separate job that is dedicated specifically to that VM?

2. Pausing jobs that are already running is totally out of the question as it would result in snapshot being held opened for a longer period of time which is not a good thing to do. The option of giving quick backup the highest priority in the queue of jobs awaiting for resources sounds way better

Thanks
slaburda
Enthusiast

Post by slaburda »

ad 1. ...ok

ad 2.
To give quick backup the highest priority in the queue of jobs awaiting for resources sounds good. It will solve many situations but not all. We have a jobs which runs 2-3 hours, so if I run “quick backup” or “restore job” in this time I will wait 2-3 hours. Usually when I need to restore something quick I have to kill some running jobs to get some resources. What about the idea to reserve some resource for restore or jobs starting manually? (or just to have an option for example on backup proxy to reserve xy% of resources). When we used backup to tape we have reserved 1 tape just for restore...
slaburda
Enthusiast

Post by slaburda »

Is it possible to open this request as a feature request?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

You've already done that by posting the request on this forum.

Thanks