Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
AuGL
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Glenn

Quick Migration between two vCenters

Post by AuGL »

Hi all,

I have two vCenters, that are not linked, and do not share any datastores. I'm thinking of using Quick Migration to move some non-critical workloads from Cluster01 to Cluster02.
The versions of vCenter and ESXi are the same (6.7U3).
My VBR server and all Proxies are part of the environment with Cluster01. There's no Veeam in Cluster02.

Do I have to deploy a Veeam proxy in Cluster02 for Quick Migration to be successful?
What about using Veeam Replication and a permanent failover mode? Do I need to have spare licenses from Cluster01, to license Cluster02 to do the replication?

Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Quick Migration between two vCenters

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

I'd suggest to opt for Quick Migration in your particular case if your goal is just to perform one-time migration of some workloads.
You won't need to deploy VBR on the target site but it will make sense to deploy a proxy on the target site if your vSphere license does not provide vMotion:
in this case Veeam switches over to its proprietary mechanism to perform quick migration and it uses two-service architecture.

Repication gives you a possibility to update a VM replica with actual changes on a regular basis and to quickly recover a corrupted VM by failing over to its replica in case of disaster.
In this case, it's recommended to deploy VBR on the DR site to allow failover plans to work seamlessly and without any manual complex operations.

Thanks!
AuGL
Enthusiast

Post by AuGL » 1 person likes this post

Hi PetrM,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Quick Migration sounds fine then. Our vSphere licenses do have vMotion capability at source and target.
Do I need a proxy at the target site? Would the Quick Migration work (albeit slower), without a proxy on the target site?
Does having the proxy at the target site increase the speed of the migration?

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Glenn,

No additional Veeam components are required if Quick Migration leverages vSphere native migration mechanisms, looks like it's applicable in your case because your license provides vMotion.

An additional proxy on the target site will be helpful only if Veeam proprietary mechanism is used, for example when vMotion is not possible. In this case the target proxy might improve performance of migration.

Thanks!
AuGL
Enthusiast

Post by AuGL » 1 person likes this post

Thanks champ!