Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Quick replica without hitting original VMs

Post by pkelly_sts »

More of a curiosity than anything but is there a way of creating a replica of a set of VMs from a backup, but without actually also touching the original VMs? In other words, the point-in-time of the backups is sufficient so just "seed" without actually then updating the seeded replicas with a current replica as well?

it occurs to me that sometimes I just want "a version" of a few VMs to play with in a sandbox for a short while so the quickest/easiest way to spin them up is the most appropriate.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Quick replica without hitting original VMs

Post by foggy »

pkelly_sts wrote:More of a curiosity than anything but is there a way of creating a replica of a set of VMs from a backup, but without actually also touching the original VMs? In other words, the point-in-time of the backups is sufficient so just "seed" without actually then updating the seeded replicas with a current replica as well?
Sounds like a replica from backup functionality.
pkelly_sts wrote:it occurs to me that sometimes I just want "a version" of a few VMs to play with in a sandbox for a short while so the quickest/easiest way to spin them up is the most appropriate.
You can also consider using On-Demand Sandbox provided by SureBackup.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Re: Quick replica without hitting original VMs

Post by pkelly_sts » 2 people like this post

Doh! What am I thinking! Of course replica-from-backup only touches the backups, I should know better, I've been doing it myself for over a year!

I must've had something strange in my coffee when I was thinking/writing that this morning. I blame the amount of work I'm having to do at the moment! LOL

:-D