Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Michael_6835
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael Harris

Re-IP Fails trying to failover

Post by Michael_6835 »

Greetings all:

I've currently got an issue with a replication job failing on Re-IP. I've opened a case 00258165, it has been 2 days and we don't have a solution just yet. I'm hoping the forums can lend a hand so that we can fully use all of the features included with Veeam.

Background:6.5 patch 3
We are replicating our VMs from our main site over to our DR site. Our DR service provider has given us an account with granular permissions, we are replicating to their ESX/Vcenter systems and thus the need to have restricted permissions.

We are able to successfully back vms and we are able to successfully replicate VMS. However when we specify that we wish to have the vms re-ip, the job fails with this message.

If we remove the "Re-IP" option we are able to successfully fail over.

For testing, DR site gave my account full admin rights on the vCenter level. We were able to fail over successfully WITH the Re-IP option on. So we definitely know it is a permission issue. However, we have followed the PDF documents on granular permissions and we are clearly missing something as when we switch back to that, our job fails at the same point.
What we are trying to obtain or at least understand is specifically what permission is needed in order for us to successfully have veeam "re-ip" the machine, as the current documentation does not contain this info. I'd have to imagine this to be a fairly common scenario for customers in that they are replicating to an environment that they don't have control over. Giving full admin rights in this case is not really an option.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Re-IP Fails trying to failover

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Mike,

Try to enable Virtual Machine -> Guest Operations for the connection account, should help since RE-IP occurs on the Guest OS level.

Thank you!
Michael_6835
Enthusiast

Post by Michael_6835 » 1 person likes this post

Apologies for the late reply....

We have followed the documentation found in KB 1733
http://www.veeam.com/kb1733

which has the Guest Operations with full control. Working with Support, they were able to replicate the issue and indeed have confirmed the problem to be a permissions issue. I am currently awaiting for support to get back to us with the exact permissions needed to make this work. The current document will need to be updated once this is discovered.

I will post the resolution for anyone else that may follow.
Michael_6835
Enthusiast

Post by Michael_6835 » 1 person likes this post

This is what I got from support which allowed the ReIP process to complete successfully.

Create a new role and assign these permissions below.

Datastore - All
dvPort group - Create, Delete
Folder - Create, Delete
Global - Disable Methods, Enable Methods, Licenses, Log event, Manage custom attributes, Set custom attributes, Host [ Configuration ] - Network Configuration, Storage partition configuration Network - All Resource - Assign VM to resource pool, Create resource pool, Migrate, Relocate, Remove resource pool Scheduled Task - Create tasks, Modify task, Run task Tasks - Create task, Update task vApp - Add virtual machine, Assign resource pool, Unregister Virtual Machine - All
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Thanks, Michael, for coming back and updating the topic with the results you’ve got; highly appreciated.
nicolas.gras
Service Provider
Full Name: Nicolas Gras

Post by nicolas.gras »

Hi Michael,

I have the same problem.
At which level do you assign the right? on vCenter level? Cluster Level ? Datastore Level ?

Thank's for advance,
Regards,
Nicolas
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

All permissions should be specified either on vCenter Server or Datacenter (worked for me) level.