Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mellerbeck
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael

Recommendation for LAN versus WAN

Post by mellerbeck »

For replication we have a 100mb connection. Would you recommend setting this as LAN or WAN. I ran an upgrade so it seems I should change my compression from High to optimal?
Also it doesn't seem to be using all the bandwidth that it could?

Also, I've installed a proxy at the remote site. Is it recommended to hard code the source and target proxy? The network is very flat so I'm not sure it could detect the closest one.

Thanks for any pointers!

-Michael
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Recommendation for LAN versus WAN

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Michael,
mellerbeck wrote:For replication we have a 100mb connection. Would you recommend setting this as LAN or WAN.
Are you referring to replication or backup jobs? WAN setting is recommended if you're transferring data over the WAN link, but since you're doing over 100mb connection you can select the LAN option.
mellerbeck wrote:I ran an upgrade so it seems I should change my compression from High to optimal?
What is your current CPU utilization on the backup proxy? No need to change anything if CPU is not maxed out during job runs.
mellerbeck wrote:Also it doesn't seem to be using all the bandwidth that it could?
What are your current bottleneck stats for the jobs?
mellerbeck wrote:Also, I've installed a proxy at the remote site. Is it recommended to hard code the source and target proxy? The network is very flat so I'm not sure it could detect the closest one.
Target proxy should be automatically picked up by the replication job based on the pre-processing job analysis. You can check what proxy is picked up via latest job session. If you see that job has chosen the wrong one, you can set the required proxy manually.

On a side note, if you're replicating in the local network usually secondary proxy server is not required, since bottleneck will be either source or target storage.

Thank you!