Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Narongrat
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Narongrat Riyart

Regis new system with existing veeam license

Post by Narongrat »

Hi

Originally I had a 3-host (6 Socket) VMware system.
and Veeam B&R version 11 (6 Socket License)

Now I have a new HCI system.
I have already migrated the old VM to the new system.
Using the Replicate method

and..now I want to set up a Backup using the original settings.
I try change from VM source from old system to new system.
Veeam says License Socket is full.

Is there a way to move/change the license without affecting the original backup?
Or do I have to delete the old system on Inventory first?

Thank you for all the suggestions.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Regis new system with existing veeam license

Post by veremin »

What do you mean by "without affecting the original backup"? If you want to protect a new system with the existing license, you need to revoke the license from the old host first.

Once you do that, the backup jobs protecting VMs running on the old host will fail due to license exceed. However, the already created backups will still be visible and restorable (no additional license or backup removal will be required).

Hope this helps!
Origin 2000
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times

Re: Regis new system with existing veeam license

Post by Origin 2000 »

Within the Menu->License there is a Revoke option. You have to revoke the existing assigned licences back into the pool and with the next backup run Veeam will automaticly assign them when it detected that the current Host doesnt have a license.

It have nothing todo with the already existing backups because this chain is now "dead" because of your replication the VMs have different MoRefIDs and are new VMs from the veeam perspective. Next time just migrate the VM within the existing vCenter. Remove one Host to free up a ESXi license and add ONE OF YOUR NEW Hosts into the existing vCenter/Cluster and migrate one VM after another. In this case the VM Identity will not changed and Veeam just backup as normals with the existing chain.

Regards,
Joerg