Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Schmieri
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Philipp

Remote Site Backup - Design Question

Post by Schmieri »

Hi there,

im realy new to Veeam and got a lack of how to setup a veeam b & r 9.5 within a remote site to backup VMs on a single vCenter integrated vSphere 6.x Host. We already have Backup & Replication 9.5 (Enterprise Plus) at the main datacenter and want to backup about 5VMs (1TB of Data) at the remote site to provide file restore and desaster recovery. There is a low bandwith WAN connection between the main datacenter and the remote site (10MBit).

We are thinking about to add an additional physical server (Windows Server, Installed Veeam Proxy and wan accelerator) with local disks or a NAS as a backup repositry at the remote site. Additionaly we want to transfer the backups from the remote site to the main datacenter.

- Is this a recommended / best practice setup to backup a remote site / branch office as described?
- How to estimate the bandwith / runtime for replication to main office (afaik its compressed with the build in WAN accelerator)?
- How to estimate the cache size needed for the wan accelerator on both sites?
- We plan to use Veeam Cloud Connect later, is it possible to upload the backups through the backup proxy directly to a Cloud Connect Provider without to have an additional Full Backup Server Installation at the remote site?

Thanks!
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Re: Remote Site Backup - Design Question

Post by pkelly_sts »

I can't comment on all points but I can confirm that we have a dedicated server/repository config on each of our two sites (plus tape library on each site in our scenario) and it works very well, although we do have a much faster line between sites.

Your initial issue will be the need to "seed" the first backup to the remote site as you won't want to be pushing 1Tb over 10Mbit, but more importantly just make sure that a single instance of Veeam B&R "owns"/manages the whole environment as that will give you the most flexibility with options as it knows everything about everything.

Hard to say what your performance would be as it very much depends on the daily change rate, plus the kind of data being sent (i.e. how highly can it be de-duped).

You can get potentially get an idea by configuring a local copy with the kind of settings you'd configure for the WAN job (i.e. compression settings) and possibly even local WAN-x, which at least should give you an idea of how much real data would be transferred...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Remote Site Backup - Design Question

Post by foggy »

Hi Philipp, overall the setup looks good. Here's the thread that will help in sizing WAN cache and space estimation tool.