Removing restore points when VM no longer managed by a job

VMware specific discussions

Removing restore points when VM no longer managed by a job

Veeam Logoby accf » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:44 pm

I have an issue where VMs that are no longer managed by a job are retained in the backup set.

My jobs are structured with 1 job per datastore. When I perform Storage vMotion a different job will protect that VM.

It appears the previous job will expire restore points until it reaches the last remaining full backup, at this stage it appears to ignore it.

Normally I then delete the final remaining backup using the Veeam console, this isn’t ideal as it requires manual intervention. My preference would be for Veeam to automatically delete this data using the same criteria as for deleted VMs.

I have spoken with support regarding this (Case # 02251991). There appears to be some disconnect when using forward incremental backups. The “Limitations for Retention Policy for Deleted VMs” in the documentation appears to suggest a synthetic full is necessary for automatic deletions when using forward incremental backups. I don’t understand why an active full isn’t a suitable alternative.

How do I ensure a VM backup is automatically removed from a repository <N> days after it is no longer managed by a job? Is this a feature request? Or bug?

Points to note:
1. Backups are forward incremental, with a weekly active full
2. Jobs are configured to remove deleted VMs after 90 days
3. Repository is set to ‘User per-VM backup files’ as it is a deduplication appliance
accf
Lurker

Liked: never

Re: Removing restore points when VM no longer managed by a j

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:16 pm

Hi and welcome to the community!

It doesn't look like a normal behavior for the per-VM backup chain, we will investigate it further. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 61 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:50 am 2 people like this post

Hi,

Confirmed as a bug thank you for the heads up, we will fix it in the next releases. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Deleted Vm Repository Per-Vm

Veeam Logoby Stabz » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:16 am

Hi,
I have a new question for you!

I have Incremental Backup Job with active full backup planed every Saturday, the destination is a repository with the option Per-vm enabled.

Recently, I removed from my Vmware infrastructure some Vms which were useless, to avoid any failed backup, I also removed the Vms from my backup job.

I noticed today that the deleted vms appear like this in the job : "vm is no longer processed by this job. Make sure this change is intentional"
I checked the repository and there are a full backup and some increment for this vms.

Is the option "remove deleted VMS data afeter" could help me to deleted this old files ?

Thanks
Philippe
Stabz
Influencer

Full Name: Philippe DUPUIS

Re: Deleted Vm Repository Per-Vm

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi Philippe,

In your scenario, it's not possible to automatically delete backups for VMs that has been removed from the job due to a known bug.
However, if you will switch to Synthetic fulls with subsequent transform, then retention policy for deleted VMs should work.

Please check this thread for additional information. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Stabz » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi DGrinev,

Thanks for the answer !

Ok I will take a look to switch to "synthetic fulls".

If I delete manually the files from the repository, is that possible to have any impact or its ok ?
Stabz
Influencer

Full Name: Philippe DUPUIS

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:14 pm

I'd recommend you to use built-in option called Deleting from Disk to be sure you've deleted the right files. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby accf » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:46 pm

Great, thanks for looking into this.
accf
Lurker

Return to VMware vSphere