Rename Virtual Machine name in VCenter

VMware specific discussions

Rename Virtual Machine name in VCenter

Veeam Logoby lti » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:50 am

Hello,

I have a VM part of a backup job. I renamed the VM in VCenter (Changed the display name).
Do you know how Veeam Backup will manage this change ?
Is it automatic ? Is there a way to rename it into the backup job in order to keep the backup history ?
Or do I need to remove the 'old' VM and the add 'new' one (Even if it is still the same VM, just the name changed) ?

Thank you for you help.
lti
Novice

Liked: never

Re: Rename Virtual Machine name in VCenter

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:09 am

Veeam B&R tracks VMs by their unique moref ID, not names. Moref ID is assigned by vCenter on VM registration in virtual infrastructure and is not changed when you rename the VM, so you do not need to re-add VM to the job after doing that, Veean B&R will still be able to locate it.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1083 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby lti » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:35 pm

foggy wrote:Veeam B&R tracks VMs by their unique moref ID, not names. Moref ID is assigned by vCenter on VM registration in virtual infrastructure and is not changed when you rename the VM, so you do not need to re-add VM to the job after doing that, Veean B&R will still be able to locate it.

Thank you.
I tested it and it works as you described, the VM name has been changed inside the job and no problem with it.
lti
Novice

Liked: never

[MERGED] VM renaming question

Veeam Logoby flavor4real » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Hello,
Veeam 6.5: If a VM server is renamed, will VBR pick up this change or do I have to re-add this particular VM? I've noticed that one of my backup job picked up a renamed VM, so I was wondering if Veeam keeps track of it since v6.5 lists all VM's ....
flavor4real
Expert

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

[MERGED] Impact on existing backups after renaming VM?

Veeam Logoby mcsmithSOP » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Long story short, we had to use VMware Converter to reconfigure one of our VMs. The original VM was "PE SQL Server" and the new one was "PESQL".

I set up the Veeam replication job for PESQL and it's been working fine the last few days. We deleted the original VM and then my boss took it upon himself to rename the new VM back to the original name in VMware.

When I open the Edit Backup Job [PESQL} window under Virtual machines to backup it shows the original name (PESQL) but when I click Add the infrastructure shows the new name (PE SQL Server). None of the VMware files were renamed, nor were they moved to a different datastore.

Is our backup chain broken and we need to start over, or will it continue to run without any action, or is there something I need to do to get the job to pick up on the fact that the VM has been renamed?
mcsmithSOP
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jason

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:43 pm

Jason, you do not need to do anything, the job will continue backing up the VM fine.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1083 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby mcsmithSOP » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks foggy. Apparently I need to work on my search skils because I did not find the original thread.
mcsmithSOP
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jason

Return to VMware vSphere