Repeated VDDK error 1 and 2

VMware specific discussions

Re: Repeated VDDK error 1 and 2

Veeam Logoby freedor » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:20 am 1 person likes this post

Hi guys,

we had the same problem with Veeam B&R 9 and vSphere 6. You don't need to restart your host. Just restarting the management services works.

run: services.sh restart

Hope this help.
freedor
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Norman

Veeam Logoby pidthepiper » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:28 pm

freedor wrote:Hi guys,

we had the same problem with Veeam B&R 9 and vSphere 6. You don't need to restart your host. Just restarting the management services works.

run: services.sh restart

Hope this help.

yep or just restart the management agents or vMotion the impacted VMs to another host. The problem is the issue reoccurs and you have to do it again.

VMware have asked me to tell Veeam support to contact VMwarae SDK support directly
pidthepiper
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Bilal AHmed

Veeam Logoby mgratla » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:32 pm

We ran into this issue this weekend again. This time it was a different host.

Just as before,. plenty of jobs failed with VDDK error:1 repeatedly, and as before after about two days of this the host disconnected from vCenter and came back within seconds at about 3:47am this morning. As soon as it did that (Which is where I'm suspecting the host eventually just crashed out and restarted it's management processes) backups of machines on that box ran perfectly fine, and without issue.

Vmware has been updated but unfortunately the person I've got working the case is not being particularly great. I was able to get logs this time at least.

Our veeam case for this is 01824972
mgratla
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Mark

Veeam Logoby pidthepiper » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:52 pm

I had the same problem, they have now asked for Veeam to open a SDk request or something with them to work on it further. Veeam escalated it up to their 2nd level support, but I havent heard anything yet
pidthepiper
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby m0ps » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:50 am

So root of case is still not clarified?
m0ps
Novice

Full Name: Maxim Kursin

Veeam Logoby mgratla » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:59 pm

Just started back up again for us since the last time. First couple of VDDK errors happened this morning - So it looks like we get 1-2 days of stability and then we're back in the thick of it
mgratla
Influencer

Veeam Logoby pidthepiper » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:05 pm

m0ps wrote:So root of case is still not clarified?

Nope nothing at all yet
pidthepiper
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby pidthepiper » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:58 pm

I had the same thing happen again today with 2 vms, on 2 different hosts.

I had a webex with level 1 support, he asked me to svmotion one of the vms and it passed and then the job ran fine, he agreed it needed to go to level 2 support. I provided him with every log I could get, and now I wait. I restarted the management agents on the other host and the vm on there backed up fine.

I kept getting the impression that this was a new issue for them, even though all of us on here have been experiencing it.
pidthepiper
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby PLCHOFFIN » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:01 pm 1 person likes this post

Hello everyone,

Same issue here. Restarted the management services on my impacted ESX.
Worked like a charmed :)
PLCHOFFIN
Lurker

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Pierre-Lou Choffin

Veeam Logoby picaroon » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:00 pm 1 person likes this post

Veeam advised me to decrease the buffersize of Veeam B&R in the registry to 1MB, but the issue persist.
picaroon
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jeltsen Haagsma

Veeam Logoby mwirz » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:46 am

Can you please post your case id? i'm going to open a ticket as well and would like to reference on it.

i got several host/vms per week with the same problem. most time i can fix by restarting services. but sometime it ends up with a lots of snapshot-files to be consolidated. but for this i have to migrate to another storage first. it works but can't be the solution...
mwirz
Service Provider

Full Name: Mike Wirz

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:18 am

Mike, you can always refer to this topic as well, so that your engineer understands what buffersize you're talking about. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby pidthepiper » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:53 pm

Veeam Support level 2 have told me they are still awaiting more info from VMware as to the cause of this error
pidthepiper
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby mgratla » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:19 pm

VMware came back and told me that there was an issue because of a vpxa.cfg file on the ESXi hosts, but they don't have an idea of the cause. They did say that 'too many delta disks or cloned disks depending on other disks which adversely affects the vpxa agent' , which is interesting because there was a single snapshot on each of these machines which is the one Veeam was trying to create.

They wanted me to edit the vpxa file on each of the hosts and change 128 to 256 and restart vpxa then enable sfcdb temporarily for a core dump.

I'm not sure I want to proceed with this change given that their reason for doing it doesn't seem to be correct

I also have been told to change the VddkPreReadBufferSize on my case with the wording that
"it doesn't appear that the root cause of the issue has been found - however, it does appear to be related to ESXi hosts that are added via vCenter: the error itself seems to be produced due to an issue with the datastore or connection between the host and the datastore"

I'm somewhat surprised at that statement, since we had no issue on v7 or v8 whatsoever for nearly two years with no changes to our environment.

I'll be adjusting the VddkPrereadBufferSize value today but if Picaroons response is correct, I doubt we will see much difference
mgratla
Influencer

Veeam Logoby mgratla » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:34 pm

The VddkPreReadBufferSize fix did not work for us at all either
mgratla
Influencer

PreviousNext