Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ElmerAcme
Influencer
Liked: 6 times

Replace host while keeping replica and backup chain

Post by ElmerAcme »

Hello,
I try to replace a ESXi host and search for the right process to migrate the VMs while keeping replicas and backups.
Setup:
HOST01: ESXi7 standalone host with 10 productive VMs (about 4TB):
HOST02: ESXi7 standalone host with Veeam V11 VM and as replica target:
Backp job where HOST01 is selected as Source. So the VMs are automatically added, when created on HOST01
Replica job 1 for replication high priority VMs from HOST01 to HOST02 with 2 hours intervall. VMs are manually added or deleted
Replica job 2 for replication low priority VMs from HOST01 to HOST02 once a day. VMs are manually added or deleted
HOST01 should be replaced by HOST03. HOST03 is already running.
All jobs can be paused during the migration.
vCenter is available, but not configured inside Veeam.

If i move a VM by vCenter vMotion to the new host, it should get a new ID as far as I know. So reconfigure the backupjob for HOST03 as source it will see new VMs and the backupchain is broken !? Is it?
Maybe same problem inside the replica job?

I don't have a testing environment and the first time in this situation.
What would be the best way to replace the host while keeping replicas and backups?

Thanks a lot
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Replace host while keeping replica and backup chain

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

If you add VMs into a job via standalone ESXi without vCenter, references will be changed after the migration and there is no option to continue the backup chain because the migrated VMs are completely new objects from Veeam perspective. Also, could you please clarify why you don't add vCenter into Veeam backup infrastructure?

Thanks!
ElmerAcme
Influencer

Post by ElmerAcme »

Hello,
those ESX hosts are offsite with extreme bad internet connection. so the backup should run however the main data center is reachable or not.
Will the "quick migration" inside veeam keep the reference?
Maybe there's an SQL script for changing the identifier?
Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Yes, all jobs rely on VM reference unless you leverage Veeam Agent Management. Veeam Agent is running directly in the guest OS and does not interact with the hypervisor. There is a tool which updates references in Veeam database but I'm not sure it can work with standalone ESXi. Also, keep in mind that it can be used only on your own risk, this method is not supported officially.

Thanks!
ElmerAcme
Influencer

Post by ElmerAcme »

Hello,
I opened a case yesterday for verifying this.
Regarding the support, I just need to migrate the VMs, change the job and scan the repository. And the backup chain will be kept.
Hopefully it is as easy as it sounds...
Regards
ElmerAcme
Influencer

Post by ElmerAcme » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
got the call today.
Regarding the supporter it's not possible to map the backups as we used the HOST as source instead of marking the single VMs inside the job.
We changed the job to VM based, select the mapping and restarted the job again. Same behavior as before. A new backup chain was created.
Except for 1 VM!!!:
Due to a bug in VMWare I wasn't able to migrate a bigger VM with vMotion. So instead of I used the quick migration inside Veeam. It tooks a bit longer, but worked fine.
Exact this VM is actually keeping the backup chain.
I have to wait for the weekend to finish and will do some further testing.
Regards