Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sfaits
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

Replica destination change

Post by sfaits »

We are currently replicating a large linux server (~7TB) to another datacenter. Everything has been working great but I am still very new to replication.
Now we are needing to change the destination to a different datacenter but there are several differences and was hoping for some advice.
We are in the process of upgrading to the latest build of vCenter but are currently on v6 (same with esxi hosts). The destination is a esxi 7 host that will be added to a cluster managed by our vcenter but for now its on its own.

Should we wait on changing the destination until we are on the same esxi/vcenter version?
for changing the destination is it best to disable the replication, storage vmotion of the vm, update the replica job and then enable? or should I change the destination in the rplica job itself and let it handle it?

Thank you.
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: Replica destination change

Post by rennerstefan » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

from Veeam side you are very open to do it the way you prefer to do.
I would wait until my new DC is completely up to date before migrating.
The most important thing is that the vCenter remains the same so that the "moref" remains the same. (https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017126)
Otherwise you will run into the issue that the destination VM won't be recognized anymore.
I also recommend to build a "temp replication" of a small VM where you can test and validate the whole process before doing it with the 7TB one.
with that you can make yourself comfortable in doing it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA