Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jyarborough
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: never
Full Name: John Yarborough

Replica targeting cluster - no datastores

Post by jyarborough »

I am setting up a replica job and wanted to target our DR cluster. However, when I select the cluster as the destination, I cannot see any target datastores. If I select a specific host, everything works fine. Any thoughts?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Replica targeting cluster - no datastores

Post by dellock6 »

Probably a silly question, but are those datastore shared among all the hosts in that cluster, or are local datastores?

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
jyarborough
Veeam ProPartner

Post by jyarborough »

Very valid question. At this time, there is actually only 1 host in the cluster, so yes, all hosts in that cluster can see all datastores :) The datastores themselves are all NFS mounts. I tried to "trick" it by selecting the host first, then selecting the datastore, then changing from host to cluster, and the re-browsing for datastores but the list still comes up blank.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Uhm, I had many replication jobs hitting cluster datastore, but no with NFS storage, all of them via iscsi or FC. I'm not telling at all the problem lies in the NFS type of storage, only that I cannot confirm on my storages if I can recreate your issue. Maybe you can do the opposite and check with a block-storage datastore?

Tried also in the kb or in the user guide but I saw no mention about replica over NFS, alway talks about replica...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
jyarborough
Veeam ProPartner

Post by jyarborough »

Interesting. I cannot easily get block storage available on my DR cluster hosts. Instead I reversed the logic and created a test job that would replicate one of the DR replicas back to the production cluster. I targeted the production cluster and was able to select datastores, including NFS and FC. I am starting to wonder if the problem is that I only have a single host in the DR cluster so it is making me target the host. Unfortunately I don't have the resources available to put another host in the DR site to test this further.
enginenetworks
Veeam ProPartner
Full Name: Engine Networks

Post by enginenetworks »

You should be able to do it choosing destantion Host instead of Cluster. Tested for a demo with B&R 6.1 with 2 single host cluster in two remote sites with iSCSI external LUN.
Engine Networks

VMware vCloud Service Provider
Veeam Service Provider Partner
http://www.enginenetworks.net
jyarborough
Veeam ProPartner

Post by jyarborough »

Right, I can target the host directly, but I would like to target the cluster instead so that when we add another host it will be more seemless. Unfortunately, that (targeting a single host cluster) doesn't seem to work for me right now.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

jyarborough wrote:At this time, there is actually only 1 host in the cluster, so yes, all hosts in that cluster can see all datastores :)
I guess in this case the datastore is still local as it is not shared between different hosts. Hence, it is not displayed in Veeam as the datastore available for the whole cluster. At least this is how it works in my lab, just checked.
jyarborough wrote:I tried to "trick" it by selecting the host first, then selecting the datastore, then changing from host to cluster, and the re-browsing for datastores but the list still comes up blank.
What if you not re-browse but just leave the autodetected datastore in the text box and finish the wizard?
renpen
Influencer
Full Name: Rene Lahaye

[MERGED] No Datastore in Replication destination cluster

Post by renpen »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had come across this before in ver 6.5. I am trying to setup a replication job and selecting the destination as a cluster with only a single host at the moment. When I select the cluster as the destination it does not give me the option of selecting any datastores. I have done this before with a cluster of more than one host without any issues.
My intention is to add another host later on and distributing vm's across both these hosts without affecting replication jobs and calculating disk digests which is very time consuming across quite slow WAn link we have.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

Hi, I had the same issue today. Veeam 6.5 build 144 and vCenter / vSphere 5.1 U1

If you choose a destination cluster for replicas with only one host, Veeam will not show the datastores

You have to point directly to the host and not to the Vmware cluster

Marco
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli » 1 person likes this post

Hi, I confirm that having a destination cluster for replicas with only one host, Veeam don't show the datastores. Adding a second host solve this annoying bug

Marco
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Marco, thanks for the confirmation. Much appreciated.
CaptainFred
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Si

Post by CaptainFred »

m.novelli wrote:Hi, I confirm that having a destination cluster for replicas with only one host, Veeam don't show the datastores. Adding a second host solve this annoying bug

Marco
I've got this problem but don't have a "spare" second host to add! Any other ideas? :shock:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Can you clarify the purpose of creating a cluster with a single host?
CaptainFred
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Si

Post by CaptainFred »

Gostev wrote:Can you clarify the purpose of creating a cluster with a single host?
We will only have one permanent host at DR, in the event of an invocation the hosting company will provide additional hosts to add into the cluster to run everything as the single host is enough for replication and running a few VMs but nowhere near everything (due to RAM and core limitations).
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

foggy wrote: What if you not re-browse but just leave the autodetected datastore in the text box and finish the wizard?
Have you tried that? Seems to work for me.