Replicating a Domain Controller

VMware specific discussions

Re: Replicating a Domain Controller

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:57 am

marius roma wrote:My only trouble, now, is that it looks like backup and replica of powered off VM looks slooooooower that backup and replicas of powered on VM. Is it my feeling or is it the standard behavior?
If so, does it depend on the missing VSS support (in powered off VMs)? Is there any way to speed up the backup and the replica of powered off VM?

VM power state doesn't matter for the backup/replication job performance, furthermore since "application aware image processing"cannot be used for the powered off VM, the job should complete a little bit faster, but virtual disk data processing/moving performance should be the same in both cases.
marius roma wrote:If I usually replicate my VM while it is powered on and one night I power my VM down before replicating it, should I expect the replica to be fast as usually or to take the same time as the very first (when the whole of the VM had been replicated)?

It should be the same as for powered on VM state given that CBT is enabled for this VM.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1099 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby kamalkant » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:42 am

Not sure if this is the right page to post my issue. But the issue is quite similar. I have one replica job running . Target host is the same as my source host. i have only changes in my windows server and replica are:
1) replica does not connect to network after power on ( option disabled in Vmware VM edit setting)
2) the name of replica is server_replica.

Lets not talk about fail-over or any operation from Veeam server. when i start my replica I see the error " windows did not shutdown successfully blah blah...start in safe mode .. normally etc.."

Question is why my replica simply dont start?
kamalkant
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: kamalkant singhal

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:15 pm

kamalkant wrote:when i start my replica I see the error " windows did not shutdown successfully blah blah...start in safe mode .. normally etc.."

Actually, this is expected behavior as from OS perspective, the VM did not shutdown normally as it was snapshotted from a running state.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1078 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby habibalby » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:46 pm

Do you get Microsoft Directory Restore Mode when it boots? If not, the VSS might be not configured correctly.
habibalby
Expert

Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:15 pm

kamalkant wrote:1) replica does not connect to network after power on ( option disabled in Vmware VM edit setting)

Do you mean that the VM is not connected to any of your networks when you power it on?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby kamalkant » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:37 am

so what i have understood form foggy that its an normal behavior, there is no way to avoid this? any method, settings can be made to avoid improper shutdown warning?
Thanks Vitaliy, yes it does not connect to any network.
Thanks Habibalby: It does not go to Microsoft Directory Restore Mode when it boots
kamalkant
Influencer

Veeam Logoby habibalby » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:41 am

Does the back up works fine? "I mean you back this VM "DC" have you ever tried restoring it" ?
I would suggest to do a test backup of this VM then try to use Instant Recovery, change the network portrgoup and see whether you are going to the DS restore mode or not. Just make sure you are configuring the VSS correctly.

Thanks,
habibalby
Expert

Veeam Logoby jodiety11 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:59 am

Thanks. It works for me..
Behind every successful man there's a lot u unsuccessful years. - Bob Brown
jodiety11
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Jodie Smith

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:39 am

kamalkant wrote:so what i have understood form foggy that its an normal behavior, there is no way to avoid this? any method, settings can be made to avoid improper shutdown warning?

I'm not aware of any Windows tweaks that can prevent this message from showing up.
kamalkant wrote:Thanks Vitaliy, yes it does not connect to any network.

In this case, I would suggest contacting our technical team for further investigation.
kamalkant wrote:Thanks Habibalby: It does not go to Microsoft Directory Restore Mode when it boots

Do you have "application-aware image processing" enabled for this VM?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby kamalkant » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks Vitaliy... yes application aware image processing is enabled. ...
it does not connect to any network because this is the way we want to start our replica. that's fine.
kamalkant
Influencer

Veeam Logoby habibalby » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:37 pm

What is the vNIC type, e1000, vmxNet?
habibalby
Expert

Veeam Logoby kamalkant » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:29 am

its VMXNET2 ( Enhanced)
kamalkant
Influencer

Veeam Logoby yizhar » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:21 am

marius roma wrote:My only trouble, now, is that it looks like backup and replica of powered off VM looks slooooooower that backup and replicas of powered on VM. Is it my feeling or is it the standard behavior?
If so, does it depend on the missing VSS support (in powered off VMs)? Is there any way to speed up the backup and the replica of powered off VM?

marius

Hi.

The sloooooooooooooower backup performance might be related to the DC (and other services such as DNS) being down.
This might have side effects.

You should look for replicating the DC while online.

I suggest that you try either with or without Application Aware processing,
and check the bottom line results.

Yizhar
yizhar
Expert

Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Yizhar Hurwitz

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:07 am

I suggest that you try either with or without Application Aware processing, and check the bottom line results.

I wouldn’t recommend backing up/replicating domain controller with Application Aware Image Processing being disabled. The only thing that can be achieved by backing up VM running VSS-aware applications without this option is crash consistent backup, which means that data in the backup is in “crash-consistent” state, as it would be after a system failure or power outage. It, as you can imagine, might led to unfortunate results of further recovery process.

Recovery of Active Directory domain controller from non-VSS (AAIMP disabled) snapshot will be nothing but a headache task, unless you have specific knowledge and/or experience of thoughtful AD administration and manual recovery.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby kamalkant » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:27 pm

yes I agree ... i always select "application aware image processing" :)
kamalkant
Influencer

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere