Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
phileddies
Lurker
Liked: never

Replication and different host hardware

Post by phileddies »

Hi,

I am considering purchasing Backup & Replication for use between my production and DR sites. Both sites run VMware, the production site is licensed for VMware Enterprise and the DR site is licensed for VMware Standard.

My production site uses HP blades and my DR site has different HP server hardware.

Will the difference in VMware licensing or hardware cause me any issues with replication?

Thanks
Phil
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Replication and different host hardware

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Phil and welcome to the community!
If you replicate between AMD and Intel CPUs that may cause issues since the instruction set is different, but I guess in your case it`s going to be Intel to Intel so no worries.
Host licensing is also should not be a problem.
Thanks!
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Post by pkelly_sts » 1 person likes this post

We migrated from HP AMD servers to HP Intel servers (and are still replicating from Intel to AMD now until we replace the AMD servers later this year). The only thing to bear in mind is when you spin up a replica on different architecture you'll likely need to reboot after first power-on so it switches drivers as appropriate. Other than that we haven't had an issue crossing architectures (so far!).
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the participation Paul, didn`t know cross-cpu architecture replication can work just fine.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Post by pkelly_sts »

Yeah, for me at least (obviously can't speak for everyone) all we get is the usual "found new hardware, please reboot" type dialog on first power-on. It's a bit of a pain if you're spinning up vLabs from replicas regularly but hardly unexpected given what we're doing.