Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ECTF
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: davidjp

Replication back to production

Post by ECTF »

Hi and good evening.

This morning I was greeted with a failed SAN due to a power cut and unfortunately it looks like I've lost 2 LUNS on my SAN. Luckily I've got veeam replicas to a DR server which brought the vm's back on line pretty much straight away. :D My question is though, my DR server is on slow disk and once my LUN's are fixed ( chances are they will have to be deleted and re-created) whats the procedure to get the now production replica vm's back over to my faster esxi production hosts/storage once fixed ?

I've aware of failback, but does the original vm have to be there ? I've lost these !! im running VMware esxi 5.1 in a 3 node cluster with shared SAS storage in production environment

thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication back to production

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Can you please tell me how did you failover to the VM replicas? Did you use Veeam console or did it manually via vSphere Client? Depending on what you've done, you can either configure another replication job to transfer VM replicas back to production or use Veeam backup console to failback these VMs. The original VM doesn't have to be "alive" when you choose the failback option.

Thank you!