Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
aidechoute
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Replication change host and datastore

Post by aidechoute »

Hey,

I have some issue regarding the modification of a replica.
Context:
I have a cluster of 2 esxi with SAN storage and a standalone esxi with local storage and SAN storage. I replicate a VM from the cluster to the standalone one in the local storage

We add a 4th esxi and put it into the cluster. This new esxi have local storage and SAN storage.

My goal is to move some replica VM on the standalone one to the new one in the cluster on the local storage.

I do a vMotion in order to move the replica on the new host and on the local storage of this one. I modify my veeam replication job in order to tell it that the new destination is the new esx/storage

When i launch this job i immediately have a failed status with : " Failed to create processing task for VM XXX Error: Unable to process vm on target host and datastore : target hostor datastore are unavailable"

What's wrong in my differents steps??

Thanks for your help
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Replication change host and datastore

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Moving replica VM is a bad idea, because Veeam expects it to be present in the old location. Editing job will not make existing replica restore points to disappear from database.
- go to Home - Replicas - Ready, and use "delete from disk" for those replica VMs that are no longer there(those you vMotioned) - that will clear Veeam's database of stale records
- use Replica Mapping option in the job settings to map Replication Job to a "new" replica VM(those you vMotioned) in a new location\datastore. That should do the trick.
/Thanks!
aidechoute
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by aidechoute »

Thanks it's working.
What is the good way to achieve this? (I have a lot of replication to move)

Regards,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

In your case any option would result in registering VM in the cluster resulting in its ID change, so you will have to map the jobs anyway.