Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SGSA
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Asela De Costa

Replication Design

Post by SGSA »

HI All,

MAIN SITE

2 X Node HP 4500 SAN
2 X ESX Host
20 x Prod VM's
1 x QNAP ( 2 x 2TB LuNs)

1 X Veeam Ent Server ( All in One VM ) -Repository ( Local -VMDK in QNAP LUN)
So Veeam Server is backing up to local drive inside the VM

DR Site

1 x ESX Host ( With 12TB Local Storage)
1 x VSA ( Not going to use for HP replication)

So if i setup All in One Veeam VM in DR and configure only for replication and setup main site only for backup is a good design?

AS
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Replication Design

Post by veremin »

It seems that you have successfully followed recommended practise. Not only did you specify proxy servers at both ends, but also you deployed additional VB&R instance in DR site.

Having proxy at both ends should guarantee that the data will cross the WAN in highly-compressed and deduplicated state ,etc.

As to recommendation regarding additional VB&R in remote location, such scenario allows you to start special operations like Failover, Failback from there, should any disaster happen (primary site goes down, for instance).

So, as mentioned, you should be ok with such a deployment.

Thanks.
SGSA
Influencer

Post by SGSA »

HI,

Thanks, one more question and need your opinion.

Main Site - Veeam server in Production VM''s Port Group with 10+ VM's ( Vswitch1 - 4 Nic's)

Do i need to create separate Port Group and move to that? Or create separate VLAN is a good idea ?

AS
yizhar
Service Provider
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Yizhar Hurwitz

Post by yizhar »

SGSA wrote: DR Site
1 x ESX Host ( With 12TB Local Storage)
1 x VSA ( Not going to use for HP replication)
In that case - what do you need the HP VSA for?
I would simply use the local directly attached VMFS partition for all needs.
The VSA adds complexity in your case for no real benefit, just additional unneeded layer of storage virtualization.
SGSA wrote: So if i setup All in One Veeam VM in DR and configure only for replication and setup main site only for backup is a good design?
If you have additional available space at DR space, you can also use part of it for long term offsite backups, beside of short term replicas.
Provide some space to Veeam DR server as VMDK on the VMFS partition (for example 4tb) and use it for weekly or GFS rotation backups.

Yizhar
SGSA
Influencer

Post by SGSA »

Hi,
If you have additional available space at DR space, you can also use part of it for long term offsite backups, beside of short term replicas.
Good idea but how do i copy full backup from main to DR? Or steps pls?

AS
yizhar
Service Provider

Post by yizhar »

SGSA wrote:Hi,
Good idea but how do i copy full backup from main to DR? Or steps pls?

AS
Easy.
You provide disk space as VMDK disk on VMFS partition, attached to the backup VM at DR site.
You can also utilize global deduplication for long term retention if the OS is windows 2012.

Yizhar
SGSA
Influencer

Post by SGSA »

Hi Yizhar,

Thanks, You mean add more space to the DR Veeam Server? or creating new VM ( Windows 2012) in DR.
My Backup server in Main Site so my question how do i move to this VM or Veeam Server ?

AS
yizhar
Service Provider

Post by yizhar »

SGSA wrote: Thanks, You mean add more space to the DR Veeam Server? or creating new VM ( Windows 2012) in DR.
Hi.
Actually answer is yes to both.
Yes, add disk space to the DR Veeam server (which will act as DR repository for offsite backups).
Yes, if possible I recommend to use Win 2012 as OS for Veeam server/repository.
This will allow you to use global deduplication, but please note that there could be some caveats,
so I suggest using it mostly for long term archive retention but not for short term.
My Backup server in Main Site so my question how do i move to this VM or Veeam Server ?
Weather you have Veeam proxy/repository only, or full install of Veeam server at DR, add the disk space to the one which acts as repository for storing backups.

Yizhar
SGSA
Influencer

Post by SGSA »

HI Yizhar,

My Backups are in Main Site ( Veeam server only Doing the Backup) But my DR site veeam server only doing the Replication.

So even if i add more space to DR Veeam Server. Only my Replicas are in this server not full backups?

So what is the best way to move these backups at Main Site to DR for archive purpose?

AS
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

So what is the best way to move these backups at Main Site to DR for archive purpose?
In order to achieve what you want to you will have to either create two different jobs (local and remote one) or utilize custom PS script that will be responsible for copying backup data to DR location. If you’re additionally after some kind of GFS rotation scheme this example might be helpful for you.

Also, you can wait a little bit till the Veeam Backup and Replication 7 is released to general public. There will be a new type of job called backup copy job that will handle the process of copying backup data offsite for you. So, stay tuned.

Thanks.
yizhar
Service Provider

Post by yizhar » 1 person likes this post

SGSA wrote: My Backups are in Main Site ( Veeam server only Doing the Backup) But my DR site veeam server only doing the Replication.
So even if i add more space to DR Veeam Server. Only my Replicas are in this server not full backups?
You mentioned before that :
you plan to use QNAP with 2*2tb for backups on main site.
you plan to have about 12tb DAS on DR site.
Those 12tb are intended primarily for replicas, but I assume that you'll have some space that you can allocate for offsite backups as well and long term retention.

If you don't want to store backups on DR site, just replicas - OK. No special need for storage on Veeam server at DR site.
If you do want to use part of the 12tb to store some backups offsite (and not only replica), then allocate it to the Veeam repository VM at DR site.
You can create an offsite backup job and run it on schedule (for example, weekly job).
There are other options available but I consider this (offsite backup job) the best fit with current version 6.x of Veeam.

However with the upcoming version V7 you will have a "copy job" and be able to do it differently - please read about it.

Yizhar