Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
VladV
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Re: Replication failed Operation is not allowed in the currs

Post by VladV » Oct 30, 2013 11:04 am

Yes the replica has the disk that can be replicated but it is already 4 hours old.

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1414 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » Oct 30, 2013 11:08 am

But it still can bring you back to a "working" VM, right? ;) I'm just trying to help here. Let me search if it is possible to safely merge the changed data on the Guest OS level via some 3rd party tools.

VladV
Expert

Post by VladV » Oct 30, 2013 11:23 am

The source VM is online and is working fine. I just can't back it up or replicate it. So I would prefer not revert to the beginning of the day only for this issue and try to fix it during off hours without losing data.

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Post by Vitaliy S. » Oct 30, 2013 9:49 pm

Ok, makes sense. BTW, I have just googled and it seems like one of the ways of fixing it is to use this KB article that explains how to shrink your virtual disk a bit and allow snapshot operation. Hope this helps!

VladV
Expert

Post by VladV » Oct 31, 2013 1:22 am

First of all thank you Vitaliy and Alexander for your help. Finally we went with the disk partition copy method using a partition manager software.

The reason for not using the Vmware Converter was simple. Due to the fact the the converter clones the disk at the file level when shrinking we would have obtained an extremely low transfer rate (3mil files). Also, when shrinking disks, the converter cannot sync the changes after cloning, so this would have forced us to clone it offline. A partition manager, although offline, copies the partition at the cluster level thus we managed to have a transfer rate of 270MB/s (read+write) and finished the task in 5 hours.

After cloning we booted the machine, changed the drive letter, restored the reg file that contains the shares (because they are lost once you remove the old disk [the permissions still remain though] )and we had our VM back in shape after a total of 7 hours (3:00AM here). Now we need to run a full active backup after resetting the CBT and then recreate the replication job. This stinks so much when you have a large VM.

Now, I don’t want to exaggerate or overreact because of this issue, but the support team needs to be better trained when interacting with production VMs. First of all NEVER press OK when you have no intention of making any changes and there is a Cancel button. Second, given that Veeam works only with a virtual environment they need to know that a 2TB (2048GB) disk cannot be snapshot-ed. Third, be cautious around production VMs and inform the client of your intentions.

The issue can be easily replicated if desired: just create a 1960GB thin VMDK (this was the vmdk sized before the incident), or a similar sized one, save the configuration, reopen the vm config and change the measurement unit from TB to GB and back again and you will see that it is rounded to 2TB. Once it’s 2TB you can say goodbye to snapshots.

Hope this helps other users if they incur this vmdk behavior.

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Post by Vitaliy S. » Oct 31, 2013 8:28 am

Vlad, good to know that you're up and running after all these troubles you've run into. I have passed your feedback to our support director, he will look through your support case and this situation. Sorry for inconvenience.

bdufour
Expert
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour » Sep 06, 2018 3:27 pm 3 people like this post

i know this old, but i received this error today while trying to replicate a vm while taking the defaults in the new vm machine creation task. the veeam kb and vmware kb didnt solve the issue in my case. the issue for me was related to the the default compatibility option of 6.5 (on vcenter 6.5), but the host im replicating to is 5.5. the error is very generic and there was a bit of over site on my part when creating the new vm. once i created the vm with compatibility 5.5, everything worked as expected and replicated. hope this helps someone, as this error is very common.