Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dlowe
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Darryl Lowe

Replication from Backups instead of vCenter

Post by dlowe »

We have a scenario in which it would be perfect if we could have a replication job configured/running, whereby the 'Source' VM(s) is from a 'Backup/Copy job', instead of from a 'Registered VM in vCenter'. This potential customer of ours has an RTO & an RPO of 30mins (Near CDP), and they want to have the option to both; A. Replicate their VMs every 30 mins into our remote vCenter environment, as well as B. Backup their VMs every 30mins to their local storage repository. This basically gives each replication & each backup job 15 minutes to snapshot, complete the backup/replica, and then release the snapshot. After every replication to remote site completes, then the backup job to local repository would occur...back and forth. This would put a bit of stress on their VM environment creating and deleting snapshots every 15minutes, and they have Exchange servers, SQL server, Files servers, etc., all with the potential to have a great deal of change data.

I don't know what will be in version 8, but if there was an option to create/schedule replication jobs from 'Backups', as well as from 'vCenter VMs' as is currently the only option, then we would be able to backup this customer's VM's every 30 minutes, and then have Veeam replicate them from the backup files instead of from snapshotting their live production VMs again, thus putting far less stress on their VMware environment...the stress would be offloaded to Veeam's Proxy workhorses...

I've read a topic whereby some have used Powershell scripts and Veeam cmdlets, as well as Windows scheduler to rehydrate VMs into vCenter from backups; however that would not be optimal and definitely not work as well as a scheduled replication job within Veeam.

Is this something that has been discussed before or possibly mentioned as a future option?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication from Backups instead of vCenter

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, there are existing discussions on this topic as well as a detailed blog post on what's coming in v8, please take a look > v8 feature announcements: Major replication enhancements ;)
dlowe
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Darryl Lowe

Post by dlowe »

Perfect, that is exactly what we were looking for...I wish it had shown up in a google search, as I wouldn't have created this new topic :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Well now it will, because these forums have a very high ranking in Google, so thanks for doing this :D