Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
leegregory
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Lee GREGORY

Replication to DR site from backup copy seed

Post by leegregory »

Hello.

This is our current environment, all running on VBR 9.0

Production Site - Physical Veeam server with B2D and copy to tape.

DR Site Virtual Veeam server with 2TB disk space for backup copies.

Both servers have Proxy installed.

We backup all jobs to disk first then weekly to tape that goes offsite.

What i am now trying to do is i have created a backup copy job that copy's the latest backup files to the DR Veeam server after the backup has comepleted.

This is working fine. The issue i have is i want to set-up a replication job on the DR server and use the DR backup copy as the seed so that t is not having to create a snap of the live environment.

This is where the whole thing falls down.

I keep getting an error message that says "Restore point is located in backup file that is not mapped to any backup job" In the replication job under "Virtual machines" I have selected the source as "From Backup files" and selected my DR backup repository.

IF i select From Production Storage the job works but then it is taking a snap of the prod environment which is what i am trying to avoid.

How do i get this to work?

Regards

Lee
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication to DR site from backup copy seed

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Lee,
leegregory wrote:What i am now trying to do is i have created a backup copy job that copy's the latest backup files to the DR Veeam server after the backup has comepleted.
By saying to the DR Veeam server do you mean backup repository or you have a DR backup server that manages this backup copy job?
leegregory wrote:This is working fine. The issue i have is i want to set-up a replication job on the DR server and use the DR backup copy as the seed so that t is not having to create a snap of the live environment.
I assume the answer to my first question is that you have a DR backup server doing backup copy jobs and you also want to use this server to run replication jobs from these backup files? Is that correct?

Thanks!
leegregory
Novice

Post by leegregory »

I have a production backup server that runs the daily production jobs, this server also does the backup copy to the DR server.

I now want the DR server to run the replication job from the backup copy.

Is that possible?

Regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, but in this case you will need to schedule repository rescan each time you run a replication job, please check out this topic for further reading > Replication from Backup Copy architecture question.

The easier approach would be to manage replication jobs from the production backup server, this will not require the rescan procedure from the topic above.
leegregory
Novice

Post by leegregory »

Vitaly.

I understand that running it from Production backup server works, i have tested this and it does work every time.

But if we need to go to a DR situation in real life then in all likelihood the production site will be down so we would not be able to implement the fail over process as we would have no server to initiate it from.

Also the Production backup server has a copy to tape job so we cannot run the backups from the DR site using the Production site as a proxy (i have tried this) as i have seen in another scenario.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for clarification, then try to follow the advice from the linked topic, should do the trick.