Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
edmoncu
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ed Uy

Replication woes

Post by edmoncu »

I have two datacenters. DC01 and DC02.
Right now, DC01 is our live primary datacenter.
DC02 is being bulit at the moment and i would want to replicate VMs off from DC01 to DC02.

BUT!

I would want the replicated VMs in DC02 be up all the time.

Please guide me for possible way as i found during replication, the target vm is unavailable.
Also, is it possible to modify the network settings on the target VMs once they have been replicated?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Replication woes

Post by veremin »

May I ask you what is the idea behind such design? Of course, you can power up replica VMs via post-job activity, but do you realize that all of the changes done to replica VMs will be overwritten, once a new replication cycle takes place?

Generally speaking, replication is done mostly for redundancy - a DR site you can switch the workloads to if something happens with production.
Also, is it possible to modify the network settings on the target VMs once they have been replicated?
Combination of PowerClI and post-job activity is a way to go. What particular settings do you want to modify?

Thanks.
edmoncu
Novice

Post by edmoncu »

Hi v.Eremin, the idea is i would want both sites to be up.
I would want to set the DNS to load balance public IPs of the VM on DC01 and its equivalent VM on DC02 (broadcasting only which one is up).
For the state, I am putting everything in DC01 as the primary site and do a daily replication to DC02.
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

In cases where you want to globally load balance applications, you are going to need to use some kind of other tool to keep your applications in sync. If they are things like web servers that only serve static content, something as simple as a robocopy or rysnc on a schedule between the two servers could work well. If it is database driven, it is going to require native tools to the database software to ensure database consistency.

That doesn't even hit on the issues with running machines with the same hostname in two different locations at the same time.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
edmoncu
Novice

Post by edmoncu »

Hi skrause,

The site is DB-driven. We run Oracle and we use its tool to sync DB servers between location.
I wonder for the VMs, on how can we go about replication. These VMs functions are
- web front face
- api web rear (this is the one that connects to the DB).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

That's not something you can achieve with image-based Veeam B&R approach. As stated above, our replication is mostly a DR solution, not load balancing.