Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
pkelly_sts
Expert
Liked: 62 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Re: Reply to Gostev, Air-gapped backup

Post by pkelly_sts » Nov 20, 2018 9:29 am 1 person likes this post

Hmm, is this an enhancement opportunity for Veeam? Create a new kind of repository/agent combination - An agent that can ONLY "pull" backups to itself, and a repository-type that can ONLY be "pulled to" by such pull agents?

Obviously would be dependent on that machine being as utterly locked-down as possible in every other way...

yasuda
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Peter Yasuda

Post by yasuda » Nov 30, 2018 9:17 pm

Has anyone looked into Wasabi immutable cloud storage ?
https://wasabi.com/blog/data-immutability-done-right/

Perhaps some Veeam Managed Cloud Providers will offer a service with immutable storage - maybe using Wasabi on the back end. It would be nice to not have to upload full backups.

hyvokar
Expert
Liked: 21 times

Post by hyvokar » Dec 04, 2018 11:45 am

How about using cloud gateway technology for internal use and add an option to protect the remote backups from deletion? Or would this eat too much cloud providers' markets?
Bed?! Beds for sleepy people! Lets get a kebab and go to a disco!
MS MCSA, MCITP, MCTS, MCP
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3254 times

Post by Gostev » Dec 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Not really a concern, for example we have had Cloud Connect available to regular customers for a few years now > Veeam Cloud Connect for the Enterprise

hyvokar
Expert

Post by hyvokar » Dec 05, 2018 9:47 am

Cool! Didnt know that option existed for enterprises. That could possibly make my life a bit easier... :-)
Any change to write protect the backups on the cloud gateway server?
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE

v.eremin
Product Manager
Liked: 1318 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by v.eremin » Dec 05, 2018 10:50 am 1 person likes this post

Can you elaborate what change you're talking? If you're asking for Insider Protection feature, then, it is available in Veeam Cloud Connect for the Enteprise, correct. Thanks!

jihering
Lurker
Liked: never

[MERGED] Air gapped copies

Post by jihering » Dec 20, 2018 7:58 pm

I'm sure this has already been addressed. If so please point me in the right direction.

New VEEAM Backup and Replication user (from an OLD version of Backup Exec tape system). We are a small school district. We recently had new VM Servers, Nimble SAN and QNAP backup storage installed. migrating old VM's to new servers and storage. Running daily VM backups with weekly synthetic fulls. Everything set up and configured by an outside vendor. Been struggling getting through the 1000+ page user manual. I'm a little freaked out by what I've been reading about ransomware locking servers and deleting VEEAM backups. Is it possible to occasionally just copy off the data from a full backup to an external USB storage device for offline/offsite storage? I can see the backup files on the VEEAM server's storage drive (the QNAP).

Again, I apologize if this is a repeat. I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for searching through the forums.

wishr
Veeam Software
Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Air gapped copies

Post by wishr » Dec 21, 2018 9:55 am

Hi Jihering,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums and thank you for posting your query.

Sure, you can set up a Backup Copy job to your USB drive, once completed remove the drive from the machine.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions on that. Thank you.

P.S. I've moved your post to an existing thread - definitely recommend taking a look.

bdufour
Expert
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour » Dec 21, 2018 5:30 pm

ive been thinking about this, we never had backup appliances tied to AD auth, but obviously veeam is installed on a production server, which is tied to AD and i would like to keep it that way bc of kerberos auth, management, and compliance. i think if veeam could enable MFA on the console that would protect us in the event that a privileged account was compromised, which could log into veeam and delete backups. we have alerting set up whenever an admin account logs into a server, but it may be too late at that point. the biggest thing is, as an admin, i can delete backups from the console - that is what scares me the most. if a cryptolocker were to encrypt the windows server veeam is hosted on, that wouldnt be the end of the world bc the appliance the backups are stored on isnt tied to AD and if MFA was enabled on the console for veeam that would protect the backups at that level.
since veeam isnt providing MFA at this moment, we may look at some other MFA integrated option for admin accounts.
open to ideas as well guys, this has been a big topic, since ive brought it up with the dept.

hyvokar
Expert

Post by hyvokar » Feb 05, 2019 3:53 pm

v.Eremin wrote:
Dec 05, 2018 10:50 am
Can you elaborate what change you're talking? If you're asking for Insider Protection feature, then, it is available in Veeam Cloud Connect for the Enteprise, correct. Thanks!
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE

hyvokar
Expert

Post by hyvokar » Feb 12, 2019 1:14 pm

Gostev wrote:
Dec 04, 2018 8:44 pm
Not really a concern, for example we have had Cloud Connect available to regular customers for a few years now > Veeam Cloud Connect for the Enterprise
Ok, called your sales today to find out what is the difference between std, ent and ent+ edition and was told, that cloud connect is only avaiable through vcsp (which I dont want) and suggested to me install wan accelerator :-P
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE

hyvokar
Expert

Post by hyvokar » Feb 12, 2019 2:04 pm

OK, got an email from the sales explaining.

"This add-on purchase requires that the customer has either a Microsoft Enterprise Agreement (EA) or VMware Enterprise License Agreement (ELA). To be eligible, customers are required to provide a valid Microsoft EA number or VMware ELA number."

Why on earth this kind of limitation? Well it seems that Veeam is still missing a solution for small to mid sized businesses ; so, back to my original request - can you implement some kind of insider protection to backup copy job.
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE

Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 123 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover » Feb 12, 2019 4:27 pm

@hyvokar: Why have that limitation? You have to consider Veeam's business model. We sell through partners and service providers. So much so, that I like to say that "Partnerships are in Veeam's DNA" .

This limitation is in there to protect the business opportunities with Service Providers. And their success with Veeam technologies will amplify the ability to make Veeam products better. So - it's good for business and its good for product innovation also.

Additionally - for a small/midsize business, why go thru all the extra work when a service provider can do it for you?

PS: I like you inner protection idea for a backup copy job however!

hyvokar
Expert

Post by hyvokar » Feb 12, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi Rick, thanks for your input. I was guessing something like that in my post this thread before, but Gostev assured "Not really a concern".
VMWare VCP5-DCV
Veeam VMCE

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3254 times

Post by Gostev » Feb 13, 2019 12:43 am 2 people like this post

Except Rick is totally incorrect. I have no idea why is he making such statements, when he was never involved in the corresponding decisions.
hyvokar wrote:
Feb 12, 2019 2:04 pm
Why on earth this kind of limitation?
At this time, there's just too much overhead for us to support VCC-E infrastructure at small customers, so requiring ELA was our way to make sure this technology only goes to big shops, where its complexity is truly needed (by complexity I mean multi-tenancy, gateways, per-tenant quotas, etc. - in other words, everything that is essential to service providers who are serving hundreds of clients).

This may change in future though, as VCC-E matures and results in minimal support load even from inexperienced users. I don't exclude the possibility that it will eventually become an integral part of Enterprise Plus - the edition that has always been about multi-tenant and self-service capabilities. However, we would still need to figure out how to guide our customers to only deploy it in infrastructures where it truly belongs, like massive ROBO environments that need to consolidate backups to HQ. I agree ELA requirement is clumsy, it was nothing but a quick and dirty fix - but it does work, 100% of current VCC-E users are ROBO environments.

For example, deploying VCC-E just to get Insider Protection is for a few backup jobs is definitely an overkill :D there are certainly cheaper ways to get true air-gap than deploying and managing a multi-tenant platform designed for service providers!

Besides, VCC-E can only truly provide Insider Protection when it is installed in a separate data center managed by a totally separate IT team. It will most likely will not help you much if you install it in the dark corner of your single data center, but within the same network and managed by the same IT folks... because in this case, it does not add extra protection comparing to simply using a backup repository that supports native storage snapshots.