Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
vbussiro
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Repositoy topology problem

Post by vbussiro »

Hi folks,

Currently, our B&R server is connected directly (point to point, no switch involved) to a Linux Repository (hardened). There's a backup copy to a NAS on another nocation (let's say location B) and everything runs fine.

Now I want to replace the NAS with a Linux XFS repo (for block cloning benefit), but I can't make it work since there's no direct communication between the two repositories. Tried to add a proxy to location B with Wan acceleration, still not working. Is communication between linux repo mandatory ?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Repositoy topology problem

Post by Mildur »

Hi vbussiro

Backup Copy Job data flow is always directly (Direct Transport Path) between two backup repositories.

It has worked for your NAS (shared folder), because the NAS Share is accessed from the Gateway Server on your windows backup server, and this server has access to the Linux hardened Repo. You must make sure that your linux hardened repo and your new XFS Repo can talk to each other.

I recommend to put the linux hardened repo in his own subnet, use a firewall and disable SSH and other Remote Management protocols. You can find the necessary port list on this guide.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
vbussiro
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Re: Repositoy topology problem

Post by vbussiro »

Thanks. Now I'm sure.