Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Japes
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jain Giles

Restore an Exchange Calendar

Post by Japes »

Bit of a newbie with all this stuff, but story so far. We have enabled surestart and configured the enterprise end, and have backups of our exchange servers.

I've got to the point of creating a request, and approving it, but having re-read the documentation, it seems that all I can do with the wizard once the lab is ready, is recover email items, and I need to be able to restore a whole calendar from a particular mailbox.

Is this possible? I would be most grateful for any advice/help
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restore an Exchange Calendar

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If it is not in the Exchange Wizard, then you can bring your Exchange up in isolated environment and connect via OWA to the required user mailbox and then export the whole calendar. Thanks!
pmalinov
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by pmalinov »

I am sorry , but how do you export anything from OWA?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I guess Vitaliy meant full Microsoft Outlook client here. Yes, you cannot export with OWA, but nothing prevents you from connecting to the restored Exchange server using Outlook and retrieving anything you need.

Also, have you heard about new Veeam Explorer for Exchange, which provides instant item-level recovery from Exchange VM backup files (currently in the beta stage)?
randomb
Influencer
Full Name: Lars Knakkergaard

Post by randomb »

Hello Japes,

you can also access the lab from vsphere envoriment where you can login :) from there add a mapi client and export the data

Else i would also recommend Veeam explorer for exchange if you can exch 2010 either that or the U-air wizard
mytechgm
Lurker
Full Name: Matt M

Post by mytechgm »

I have the beta of Veeam explorer for exchange running. I have Exchange 2010 Standard running on four W2008R2 servers - (2) CAS & (2) DAG. I have MS NLB running between the CAS servers and FCM on the DAG servers. I have restored several Exchange itms from Veeam Explorer. So far so good. I have noted a few enhancements that would make restoration that much better. But it is still really slow restarting the Exchange DB with a file level restoration. A 67 GB database, small by Exchange standards, takes 2.5 - 3 hours to restore. Plus your item level restoration (that's usually pretty quick. NOTE: Don't delete your restored database from it's temp location until you really need to (space). Sure is handy already having it restored.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

You should look at your backup target, Exchange VM disks fragmentation, or actual backup file fragmentation (try running Active Full). In our testing, recovery from FLR session was often faster than from restored flat EDB file due to "DriveSpace" effect (since the data in backup file is compressed, it is much faster to read).

Also, definitely get release version of the tool :wink:
mytechgm
Lurker
Full Name: Matt M

Post by mytechgm »

I dont have the resources to run another an Active Full all the time.