Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
fafa24
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

restore foreign imported backup to an ESXi host

Post by fafa24 »

Hello,

I have a little bit of a problem. Not sure if it works that way or what I do wrong.

I received the vbk and vbm file - just one restore point - from external. It was taken wih Veeam Agent for Windows 3.0. I imported the file too the VBR server. This worked fine. I see in Home, Backups, Disk Imported, Agents and underneath the name of the server.

I would like to restore the entire server to an ESXi host which is registerred on the VBR server. Not sure how it works, if at all possible. I look at the wizard and it appears that it is not possible.

For example when I click the restore icon on the home tab, choose Agent, entire machine restore, instant recovery, I can add the server name, but not assign a host to recover to.

The VBR server is 9.5v4a

Thanks
Edy
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: restore foreign imported backup to an ESXi host

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Edy,

Veeam B&R currently can not perform entire vm restore to VMware from agent backup file (due to the platform differences). As a potential workaround you can convert disks from agent backup to virtual format or perform Bare Metal Recovery via recovery media .iso to a blank VM. Cheers!
fafa24
Enthusiast

Post by fafa24 »

Hello

Thanks for your response. I try the workaround and exporting the disk to VMDK format. I guess afterwards I can directly copy the files to the ESXi datastore. Right?

Thanks
Edy
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Edy,

Yes, after disk was exported you copy it to the datastore and mount to a blank or existing VM. This Help Center article should have all the 'export' steps listed. Let us know how it goes or if you have any further questions. Cheers!
fafa24
Enthusiast

Post by fafa24 » 1 person likes this post

Thanks - it worked perfectly with adding the vmdk disk to a new vm. I just needed to remove the disk and add an existing disk in the vm configuration.

Cheers
Edy