Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1442 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restore VM without breaking backup chain

Post by Vitaliy S. » Jul 20, 2016 3:05 pm

pkelly_sts wrote:Out of interest, would it make any difference to things if, instead of "full VM restore" we use a "restore vm hard disks" which retained the original shell VM/ID?
When you restore virtual disks, their CBT data will be reset, which will initiate a full data re-read for this VM.
pkelly_sts wrote:Also, talking about CBT resets etc. I thought that simply caused the original backup to be *re-read* rather than force an active full, so can't such a restore just initiate a full re-read of CBT-related data (or whatever the official task is)?
That is the case with VM replicas, where you can map VM to a VM image, but in case of backup jobs you do not select a particular VM in the backup file that can be used for mapping.

pkelly_sts
Expert
Liked: 62 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Post by pkelly_sts » Jul 20, 2016 3:10 pm

That was what i meant - the data re-read which is only a read, not a full re-copy is it not?

In other words, if for whatever reason we lose/reset CBT data, it only causes the original disk to be fully read, to understand its current situation etc., as opposed to fully copied to destination?

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1442 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » Jul 22, 2016 1:42 pm

Yes, if VM ID is retained and CBT data is lost/corrupt/etc. backup job will re-read the entire image and then transfer only changed blocks (our propriety change tracking engine), though I need to double-check if it is true for restored virtual disks with new IDs.

Zew
Expert
Liked: 42 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Post by Zew » Jul 26, 2016 8:12 pm

Thanks for the additional info guys. Glad to see the interest this topic has spun.