Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lverhoeven

Restore VSphere VM using Linux Agent

Post by lverhoeven »

I'm not really sure in which forum to post this, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong one.

I'm currently running Veeam B&R Version 10.0.1.4854 with an Enterprise Plus license.
I have several Linux machines which are back-upped as a VM (VMWare vSphere) to a Scale-Out repository.

I need to run a scheduled restore from a single folder on one VM to the same location in two other VM's on a weekly basis.
As stated before all three of these VM's are back-upped as a VM, but as far as I could find I need the Linux agent to restore this folder from one machine to the others.

I installed the Veeam agent on one of these machines and linked it to the Veeam B&R server using the 'veeamconfig vbrserver add' command.
When trying to see the repositories with 'veeamconfig repository list' I can only see the Default Backup Repository but not my Scale-Out repositories.
When using the 'veeamconfig backup list --all' command I don't get any back-ups returned.
I suppose this is because the agent currently has no license assigned, even though the machines is already licensed as a VM.

I can't see the machine as an Instance in the License Informatie window, only as a VM but not as a server.
Is there any way to get this working with or (hopefully) without any additional licenses?

I hope you can help.
Best regards,
Luc
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Restore VSphere VM using Linux Agent

Post by PetrM »

Hi Luc,

Not sure that you really need to leverage Veeam Agent for Linux to cover this scenario, what about File Level Restore in VBR and saving files to new location?
You may also take a look at this cmdlet and try to script it so that you can perform these scripts on schedule.
Furthermore, Veeam Agent for Linux will not see backups of VM created at vSphere level, it can work with backups created from the server on which it's installed.

By the way, I believe that repositories are not visible because of reposiotry access permissions configured on VBR side.

Thanks!
lverhoeven

Post by lverhoeven »

I tried the File Level Restore first, but this would normally require me to do it manually.
When using the start-vbrlinuxfilerestore Powershell command I am able to start a machine but unfortunately need to set a static IP because it's not really possible to find it when it's assigned dynamically.
It's also not that easy to combine the PowerShell commands for Veeam with the Linux commands needed for the mount/copy actions. It don't want to save the credentials for my Linux machines on the Windows machine running the script.
I was hoping there was a possibility where I could just use the mount option from the Linux Agent while still using the VMware Back-up option, this would make my job a whole lot easier.

Repository access permissions are set to Deny to everyone, but I would assume that a Veeam Backup Administrator would still be able to see them.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

If you're talking about this restore mode, then you can make backups by Veeam Agent for Linux and point them to VBR repository.

Also, you can set specific access permissions on repository on VBR side to make it visible on Agent side.

Thanks!