Restored DC fails to start AD

VMware specific discussions

Re: Restored DC fails to start AD

Veeam Logoby Aremac » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:53 pm 1 person likes this post

Thank you,

I do have Application Aware Image Processing enabled. I haven't tried Instant VM recovery but it there much difference in restore process from a surebackup boot and instant VM recovery (other than vmotion to production datastore?) I did see that the sysvol and netlogon shares are not present. A previous post on a similar matter suggested the following:

Command line: net stop ntfrs
Regedit: hklm\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore\Process at Startup - Set the burflags to d4
Command line: net start ntfrs

I performed this and the shares were restored and I was able to bring up ADUC. But this isn't normal operation and I haven't tested further to see if it had larger impact. As this used to work properly I am wondering if a group policy or other change that may have been pushed down may be causing this. However, I'm not aware of what change could/would impact Veeam DC restore process.

Thanks.
Aremac
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam Pierce

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:08 pm

The Surebackup process should be adding the burflags settings automatically. In the GUI if you open that Surebackup status and click the DC VM, in the logs, there should be a step labeled "Configuring DC" between the "Registering" and "Powering on" step. Do you see this step and does it show as completing successfully?
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1740 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby Aremac » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:26 pm

The "Configuring DC" entry is completing successfully. Is it possible to get a list of settings that change during this step so I can verify they are actually being made.
Aremac
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:51 pm

You can find them in the job logs. Probably a good idea to open a support case as well.
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1740 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby Aremac » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:29 am

So I checked the logs and every entry that references a registry key change has a number injectec in the key string such as:

+[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System6321f50d17f348f5bd888b26802584e2\ControlSet001\.......

Is this normal? If not any ideas?
Aremac
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Aremac » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:39 am

Also, Checking the VM from a surebackup job the registry changes are not being made (the keys from above don't exist)
Aremac
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:40 am

Kindly please open a support ticket, since the team behind this forum cannot assist you effectively with technical issues requiring debug logs investigation. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby wbauer84 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:29 am 1 person likes this post

Executing these steps in registry and rebooting the DC removed me the AD problem as described by the poster on Windows Server 2012 R2:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947022/en-us

By the way: We use Veeam 8.0 and replicate our domain controller to a remote site. Is there also an option of DC processing, like discussed in this thread?
wbauer84
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Wolfgang Bauer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:36 am

If you enable application-aware image processing on the replication job, everything should be fine. The discussed option relates to backups recoverability with SureBackup.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1083 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere