Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
markiboy1
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark

restoring Virtual disk from a VM with a vcenter version of 5.5 to a different VM located on vcenter with version 7.0.3

Post by markiboy1 »

Hello we are planning to mount our virtual disk from a VM with VM version 8 running on Vcenter 5.5 to a VM on a vcenter running on 7.0.3. Obviously they have different version. Just like to ask if the virtual disk that I will be restoring will be compatible to the new VM and Vcenter?

Planning to perform via any of the following:
1. Restoring virtual disk
2. restoring .vmdk guest file to the vcenter 7.0.3 datastore location
3. configuring replication.

Seeking for your recommendation if any on the above step is doable?
Case#03027920
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: restoring Virtual disk from a VM with a vcenter version of 5.5 to a different VM located on vcenter with version 7.0

Post by Mildur »

Hi Mark

Is it just a single disk to restore? Just restore the VM disk and mount it to the other VM.
A VM on vSphere 7.0.3 will be able to mount the VMDK from your vSphere 5.5 VM.
3. configuring replication.
Can you explain what you mean with replication? I don't see the connection to the mounting of the VMDK question.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Origin 2000
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times

Re: restoring Virtual disk from a VM with a vcenter version of 5.5 to a different VM located on vcenter with version 7.0

Post by Origin 2000 » 1 person likes this post

vSphere 7 also supports vHW8 so there will be no problem on that side. Please take notice that the current version of veeam dont support vSphere 5.5 any more... i assumed that you are running an older version of VBR?
markiboy1
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark

Post by markiboy1 »

Mildur wrote: Aug 03, 2023 11:50 am Hi Mark

Is it just a single disk to restore? Just restore the VM disk and mount it to the other VM.
A VM on vSphere 7.0.3 will be able to mount the VMDK from your vSphere 5.5 VM.

Can you explain what you mean with replication? I don't see the connection to the mounting of the VMDK question.

Best,
Fabian

Yes it is just a single vm disk restore. we are having an error in performing instant disk restore thus looking for other way to restore the required .vmdk file

Code: Select all

3/08/2023 11:50:58 AM Error    Failed to publish Disks SourceVM1_1 Error: Unable to check if vPower NFS is mounted on the host sourceESX.com.locacl

One or more errors occurred.

Failed to connect backup datastore to the ESXi host "hostname.vcenter.com".

Failed to add NFS datastore for NFS host 'VM-Repository. Failed to mount NFS volume (IP:/VM repository). IP: Fault "PlatformConfigFaultFault", detail "Sysinfo set operation VSI_MODULE_NODE_mount failed with error status The NFS server denied 
I just asked for replication in case we cannot performed vm disk restore, we might proceed with creating a replication policy to replicate that vm
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Mark

I recommend to analyze that error message with our customer support team.
You can also try to restore a single disk to another VM:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Or export the disk to the target datastore and mount it manually to the target VM:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software