Restoring VM to NEW location also deletes original?

VMware specific discussions

Re: Restoring VM to NEW location also deletes original?

Veeam Logoby Delo123 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:01 pm

So there is no warning at all that the original VM is deleted or is there a warning and you acknowledge that? Just to be sure it doesn't happen to someone else because until now i couldn't tell from any of your posts since i assume at all times you have both vcenters added to veeam (else it wouldn't be possible to delete anyway), also i could 't find if you really use 2 independant vcenters..
Delo123
Expert

Liked: 101 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Veeam Logoby YoMarK » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:33 am

I do a lot of restores for testing/development purposes, and have not experienced this problem myself lately. Last week I restored more then 100 vm's for a disaster recovery test, and that all went fine, but I'm on 9.5.0.1038.
I would definitely make a support call for this, so they can review the log-files and pinpoint the problem.
YoMarK
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark

Veeam Logoby wuerzburger » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:42 am

We ran in to the same problem.

Made a restore of our database server with other datastore and esx server specified, but forgot to set a new/other VM name.

Then our productive database server was shut down and deleted. Took us 2 days for recover to last state because of other problems with oracle restore.

It would be great if Veeam could implement a warning when a restore will lead to a deletion of a productive VM!!!

So far we removed the right to delete VMs from the veeam user in vcenter to avoid it happen again.
wuerzburger
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby troyvaerten » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:02 pm 2 people like this post

Same issue here today.

Was seeding a job to our offsite data-center. Different Cluster and Different DataStores.

Started restoring files for 3 VM's and then just after the job started our production systems became unavailable. Stopped the job immediately after seeing the log files state the VM's were deleted which saved the 3rd VM from getting hosed.

I'm in the process of going through the user account settings that run the job to remove delete access from the service account. I have done this in the past to our other data-center without changing or appending the name, I have a VM right now named the same living on our production and backup data-centers.

Very frustrating. Please build in a fail-safe or acknowledgment to the product for deletes.
troyvaerten
Lurker

Liked: 2 times

Veeam Logoby Delo123 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:42 am

Yes, an additional acknowledgment would be nice and needed on actual deletes, as it really isn't clear in todays "automation". Also an option to unregister the vms instead of deleting would be nice, so the user can delete themselves if they really want... (sometimes you would still like to access some data)
Delo123
Expert

Liked: 101 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Veeam Logoby pidthepiper » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:37 am

So is this still an issue in the latest v9.5 ? I am getting a bit muddled reading through this post?

I need to restore a VM to a different location but dont want to kill the live one!
pidthepiper
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Bilal AHmed

Veeam Logoby oliverL » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:58 am

Would be nice to know if this has been an configuration issue or if we need to go against the best-practice guide and remove the "delete file from Datastore" from the Veeam-vmWare-Service Account...
https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_9_0_ ... ons_pg.pdf
oliverL
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Oliver

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere