Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
neo565656
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Vanness cheong

Reverse incremental and incremental backup

Post by neo565656 »

Dear Expert,

one of the things I'm wondering and I hope someone can correct me if I misunderstood.

Our company policy is to do the full backup of our VM infra every day, and recently, we purchased the backup target (data domain, storeonce...etc)

the backup target only supports incremental instead of Reverse incremental. for the situation, I thought if I enabled the option "create synthetic full backups periodically" and chose all the day, I could meet the policy "everyday full backup"? any different than the reverse incremental? (except performance)

since I have never used the incremental before, if I enable the Active fill backup for every Sunday, would the incremental train rebuild based on my last full backup?

Thank you
Vanness
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Re: Reverse incremental and incremental backup

Post by tyler.jurgens »

A synthetic full backup or Active full backup will both become the start of the new backup chain.

I would absolutely make sure you are using a ReFS or XFS based repository if you go the synthetic full backup route. You'll save a ton of space.

Keep in mind, with reverse incremental, you don't achieve a "every day full backup" method. You only achieve a "latest day full backup". What are you trying to achieve with this policy? Iterating through a few incremental backups is a negligible performance hit during restores.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social