Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
CTCarp
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

revert 9.5 upg 4 back to previous version

Post by CTCarp »

Hello - Can I uninstall upg 4 and go back to old veeam 9.5? I am asking because it seems that some of the older servers are not getting backed up anymore where they were in the previous version.

Thank you
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: revert 9.5 upg 4 back to previous version

Post by foggy »

What kind of issues do you see with those servers? What kind of servers are they?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

But answering your question, it's not possible to roll back to the previous version. Your best bet is to work with support, as by now they have hot fixes to most known issues in hands. As long as workloads you're backing up are still officially supported by U4 as per System Requirements, of course. Thanks!
rgmueller
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by rgmueller »

I'm getting ready to take a change request before my change approval board for the update to 9.5 u4a. One of the first questions will be about backout. Are you saying it is not possible at all to roll back? Is there a point that makes it impossible if the point is crossed? Can support provide some tricks or possible methods to go back? Or I will have to work with support to make the new version work? This is my first time performing an update.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, in general you should plan to work with support to make the new version work. Going back will be more challenging, and it's not where you want to be anyway.

Sometimes there's an option to reinstall the old version and import its configuration backup, but this usually becomes impossible if you already created some backup files using the new version. So if you roll back, you would have to move those backups aside (for if you still need to recover from them), and start from scratch by doing active fulls.

Having said that, upgrading to the new major release is generally very safe after the first cumulative hotfix rollup, which was Update 4a.
rgmueller
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by rgmueller »

Thank you. I will pass along your comments to the change board. Fingers are crossed.