Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Role based access model with VBR 9.5u4

Post by sandsturm »

Hi

VBR version 9.5 update4 will bring a role based access model based on vsphere permissions as I read in vmworld news. Does anybody know what exactly this means? Do I understand that right, that someone which has no access to a virtual machine in vSphere environment, will not have access to the backups of this vm in Veeam as well? We want to have the possibility to give different backup admins the veeam backup console, but they must be able to manage their own backup jobs. Example: The Exchange admins should be able to manage only backup jobs of exchange servers and in best case, they can't see other backup jobs in the veeam console. Is this the plan in the new available RBAC model with update 4?

thx
sandsturm
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Role based access model with VBR 9.5u4

Post by Andreas Neufert »

It will be an "enhaced" copy cat of our current vCloud Director funtionallity.
Just replace the vCD role model with the rights model of the vcenter.

So B&R console will stay as is.
You can allow specifc groups or user to create and amange jobs/restore in our Enterprise Manager.

https://www.veeam.com/vmware-self-servi ... ief_wp.pdf
You will find as well some videos on youtube https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... lf+service
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Post by sandsturm »

Unfortunately, I don't know your vCloud director functionality. Enterprise Manager does not have the required funtioncs that our admins need to backup or restore data, it's just a base set of functions available in Enterprise manager. Therefore, we need the backup console. Is there no need from other customers to have a reasonable RBAC model for backup console? Can't believe that? It's a huge problem in our case, if the Exchange admin is able to restore MSSQL data and vice versa. My hope was, that version 9.5 u4 will bring this functionally finally.

thx
sandsturm
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi sandsturm,

overall we do not comment about future releases, but I can confirm that this is a popular request but it is not in 9.5 u4.

Restore on the MS SQL and Exchange side are available since years at the Enterprise Manager Self Service level and you will see some enhancements there in 9.5 u4.

Overall the EM Self Service Restore and Self Service Backup address all requirements for people that do not work on a daily base with our product to create and manage jobs (while the B&R Admin set the standards for those) and allow the users to restore for example only SQL DBs.

You can check with an SE of Veeam if he has a free beta slot to look into the new 9.5 u4 features at Enterprise Manager.