Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
PAP400
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Paolo Pallara

Scale-Out BR & RDX

Post by PAP400 »

Hello,

one of my customer have a 4 slots-RDX station available and would like to use it as a backup repo with veeam, in order to have a copy of the vSphere cluster offline/offsite.

The problem is that even the biggest 5TB RDX cartridge is too small for a full-backup session (15TB raw at the moment, but should increase in few months).

Is it possibile to use the "Scale-Out Backup repository" against 2 or more RDX slots on the same RDX Station?
Is it a supported configuration?
Does anyone use it that way?

TIA

PAP400

P.S.: Besides I tried to convince him to choose an LTO8/9 Tape Drive device (single Drive/Library), but without much luck.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Scale-Out BR & RDX

Post by Mildur »

Hi Paolo

No, that's not possible.
RDX cartridge must be configured as a rotated backup drive. And rotated backup drives can not be used as extends of a SOBR. One single drive must be large enough to store an entire full backup of a job run. If he want to have a airgapped backup of this machine, there is no other way as buying a backup storage large enough to store an entire backup set. Either use a Tape or USB Disk large enough to store the entire backup set.

There are other methods to have a offsite/immutable backup copy for such big data:
- Send the backup to a veeam cloud connect provider
- Use a SOBR with immutable Object Storage

Also, when you use a SOBR, one single extend of the SOBR must be able to store the Full and incremental backup files of a single VM. There isn't any split feature to distribute the backup of a single VM over multiple extend. If the VM has multiple small disks, you can create backup jobs for each disk. But that would be a nightmare to manage.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
PAP400
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Paolo Pallara

Re: Scale-Out BR & RDX

Post by PAP400 »

Thank you for the prompt and comprehensive answer.

The customer already use a "Dell/EMC Data Domain" appliance via DDBoost and moreover a DDVE for snapshot replication of the most recent daily backups MTree, but, for a greater extent, I'd like to implement more than an air gapped backup repo.

In this case I agree that only the good old tape is the right solution.

Thank you again

Paolo