Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Scheduled jobs

Post by lowlander »

When configuring a central vbr server connecting to satellite locations on different locations. What is the impact of job schedules on these locations when vbr server is not available ?

For example, satellite location with local esxi and a local repository. Will the vms on this local esxi being backed up by its scheduled backup job in the central vbr server for this satellite location when for example the central vbr server is unavailable for a week ?
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 613 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: Scheduled jobs

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello,
In this particular case, the jobs will not be triggered, as it is Veeam Backup and Replication the one doing all the calls to the satellite ESXi, etc.

As you would most likely have a proxy on every satellite location, I would probably do one of the things:
  • First option is to install a VBR per location, all-in-one, with backup repo, proxy, and all. And perhaps add a backup copy to an NFS/SMB in the main location if required or to Object Storage if required. This will complement Enterprise Manager at the central location, where you can monitor and see the status across all sites.
  • Another option would be to install the Veeam Agents on the remote satellite if they are not too many VMs/Servers and configure on these sites a Backup Job to somewhere local. I think there is an option to take over these agents without VBR being the one managing the policies.
  • Another one could be to use one of our Partners so you send your backups locally, and then a copy to them, or direct backup top them depending of bandwidth.
Perhaps explain a bit more why the main VBR will not be visible to the remote locations, so we can give you some better options. I think the first could work.
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Re: Scheduled jobs

Post by lowlander »

Hi Jorge,

In a conversation with another Veeam user I was told that the Satellite location was able to run defined jobs in vbr even when vbr was not available, due to the prescense of a guest interaction proxy. Thanks for the quick response. Your answer confirmed my thoughts 😉

There could be scenario's where the remote location can be isolated ( not having a redundant uplink to the main location ). In the case of an outage for 5 hours, you can't run a backup when scheduled every hour.

Are there plans for a distributed management platform accross locations or vbr servers in future ( not being dependent on one single VBR server ) , or does this kicks in too much complexity in the solution ?

This is all about the availability of the VBR server, that can be recovered quickly of course.