Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tsimons_dti
Novice
Liked: never

SDELETE for Thick Lazy Zero "zeroing", will veeam detect?

Post by tsimons_dti »

Hello All
We're going to be moving to 3par storage soon. 90% of my drives are Thick Lazy Zero. In order to optimize the use of the 3par thin provisioning, I will need to zero out these drives before moving into the new storage.

I'll be using a combination of sdelete as well as the powershel linked below (because I have disks that are mountpoints without letters)
http://blog.whatsupduck.net/2012/03/pow ... elete.html
(on a side note, we've found bumping up the array size (64k on line 68) drastically decreases the runtime, we've decided to run at 1mb)

My question...
Since all of my disk are thick already, is Veeam going to see any difference in backup data and/or duration? I've seen other threads about this, but it appears the people were dealing with thin disks. I need to understand if I'm going to send my backups into a tailspin if/when I do this?

Thanks,
~Todd
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: SDELETE for Thick Lazy Zero "zeroing", will veeam detect

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Zeroing out thick disks' free space can make a difference on active fulls (depending on how much space's been zeroed), though incrementals won't benefit of it, because they include changed data only, no matter what type of disk you use and in what area of disk that data is located.

Thank you.
tsimons_dti
Novice

Post by tsimons_dti »

Great, thanks. ...so it sounds like I won't see any increases in size or duration of backups? ...right? or will the incrementals see the "changed blocks" (even though they're to zero) and back them up?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

so it sounds like I won't see any increases in size or duration of backups?
No, you won't see size/duration increase. However you might see size/duration slightly decreased on active fulls.
or will the incrementals see the "changed blocks" (even though they're to zero) and back them up?
zeroes are never included in a backup file, no matter if they've always been zeroes, or just switched from 1s.

Thank you.
tsimons_dti
Novice

Post by tsimons_dti »

Awesome thanks