Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
anpa
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Andreas Cederlund

Setting up homelab, issue with QNAP and SMB

Post by anpa »

Hi,

So I am in progress of setting up my homelab and though I'd use some space for Veeam on my QNAP unit that I use for backup of laptops and PCs at home, and thought that SMB would be better to use instead of iSCSI. However, I'm running in to some issues when trying to configure a NAS target, and I'm not sure why.

I can browse to the share with Windows Explorer and authenticate properly, and if I map it to a drive I can see the correct amount of free space in explorer. There's a few things I've tried already:
1) Setting EnableInsecureGuestLogons to $true in SmbClientConfiguration (Powershell)
2) Changing EnableSecuritySignature to both $false and $true in SmbClientConfiguratio (Powershell)
3) Setting the NetUseShareAccess registry value to "1" in the registry

I have tried some different settings on my QNAP, this is how the SMB Server is configured
And these are the setting of the shared folder:
And share permissions:

I'm running Veeam B&R Update 4 on Windows Server 2019, and my QNAP is a TS-231P running 4.3.6.0805.
Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

/Andreas
anpa
Service Provider

Re: Setting up homelab, issue with QNAP and SMB

Post by anpa »

Sorry about the large pictures, I guess it has something to do with retina macs.

Noticed I forgot to provide some log snippets:

Code: Select all

[21.01.2019 22:52:37] <107> Error    Failed to find directory info for \\backupnas\veeam
[21.01.2019 22:52:37] <107> Error    Failed to get disk free space (System.Exception)
[21.01.2019 22:52:37] <107> Error    Server stack trace: 
[21.01.2019 22:52:37] <107> Error       at Veeam.Backup.Core.CFileCommanderHelper.FindDirInfoRecursive(IFileCommander fileCommander, String link, Func`2 checker)
[21.01.2019 22:52:37] <107> Error       at Veeam.Backup.Core.CWinFileCommander.FindDirInfo(String link)
[21.01.2019 22:52:37] <107> Error       at Veeam.Backup.Satellite.CSatelliteFileCommanderStub.FindDirInfo(String link)
[21.01.2019 22:52:37] <107> Error       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
[21.01.2019 22:52:37] <107> Error       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)
[21.01.2019 22:52:37] <107> Error    Exception rethrown at [0]: 
[21.01.2019 22:52:37] <107> Error       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
[21.01.2019 22:52:37] <107> Error       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
[21.01.2019 22:52:37] <107> Error       at Veeam.Backup.Common.IFileCommander.FindDirInfo(String link)
[21.01.2019 22:52:37] <107> Error       at Veeam.Common.Remoting.CRetryableMethod.DoInvoke[Ret](ActionDelegate`1 dlg)
[21.01.2019 22:52:37] <107> Error       at Veeam.Backup.Interaction.Management.CFileCommanderServiceStub.FindDirInfo(String link)
[21.01.2019 22:52:44] <86> Error    The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available (System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception)
powersjo
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Jonathan Powers

Post by powersjo »

Did you try setting up the repo in Veeam by ip and not dns name?

Code: Select all

[21.01.2019 22:52:44] <86> Error    The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available (System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception)
^^^^ that points me in the direction of veeam not resolving the share name correctly? or that ports are not open for file sharing.
Maybe try map by ip or create a hostfile change to map by DNS? or try disable windows firewall and add the mapping again.
Thank you,
- Powersjo :mrgreen:

https://powersjo.com/veeam
anpa
Service Provider

Post by anpa »

Same result using either IP or DNS name. Windows Firewall is disabled as well. I can access it fine through Windows Explorer, it's just Veeam that has problems accessing it..
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

anpa wrote: Jan 21, 2019 10:11 pm I can browse to the share with Windows Explorer and authenticate properly, and if I map it to a drive I can see the correct amount of free space in explorer.
What if you use UNC path instead?
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour »

what login format are you using when trying to connect from veeam?
anpa
Service Provider

Post by anpa »

foggy wrote: Jan 24, 2019 2:22 pm What if you use UNC path instead?
Browsing UNC in windows works just fine as well, both via IP number and hostname.
anpa
Service Provider

Post by anpa »

bdufour wrote: Jan 24, 2019 5:53 pm what login format are you using when trying to connect from veeam?
I have tried using "backupqnap\veeam" and "veeam" as users, both which works in Windows Explorer.
egap69
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Page

Post by egap69 » 1 person likes this post

I have the same issue.
I cannot browse to my QNAP NAS when I try and select a shared folder.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

anpa wrote: Jan 24, 2019 8:53 pm Browsing UNC in windows works just fine as well, both via IP number and hostname.
I mean to try UNC as repository path.
anpa
Service Provider

Post by anpa »

Ah, I am trying to use UNC path as repository:

Which then gives me this error:
anpa
Service Provider

Post by anpa »

As a side note, If I add the UNC path to a windows computer I have running everything seems to work, so I'm not thinking it's a network or firewall issue, it seems limited to how QNAP does it's shares..
anpa
Service Provider

Post by anpa » 1 person likes this post

I fixed this by using iSCSI instead of SMB, not really ideal or what I wanted, but at least it works :)
spoovy
Novice
Full Name: Chris Tapp

[MERGED] Can't create smb share repo

Post by spoovy »

Moderator edit: [ID# 03435470]

B&R Community edition. Newly installed on a domain-joined Windows 2016 server. When trying to create a backup repo of type network share/smb, I get the following message when trying to browse for network shares:

Last error: The list of servers for this
workgroup is not currently available

If I fill out the correct \hostname\share part myself, then select the proper credentials and click next, I get this:

Failed to get disk free space

I can create a mapped network drive to this exact share using the same credentials. I tried adding the repo with the network drive mapped and without it mapped it makes no difference.

Seems like a permissions issue but I'm not a Windows guy so not the best at tracking these things down. Veeam services all running as local system user which I believe should have adequate permissions, but maybe not?
bdufour
Expert

Re: Can't create smb share repo

Post by bdufour »

what format are you using when supplying the creds? domain\username?

also you need \\ before the hostname, not just \. you can also try the ip address of the smb server instead of the hostname.

doesn't sound like a permission issue if you can map a drive to that share and access it.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Chris,

I've merged your thread into an existing discussion on the same topic. Since OP hasn't resolved the issue and resorted to iSCSI instead, please open your own support case and let us know the case ID.

Thanks!
spoovy
Novice
Full Name: Chris Tapp

Post by spoovy » 1 person likes this post

Oh dear. I was using wrong domain credential. Too many plates spinning. Please if possible delete my foolish post.
*hangs head in shame*

Thanks anyway
bdufour
Expert

Post by bdufour »

no worries, it happens..glad you got it sorted.