Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MarioM
Lurker
Liked: never

Setup Question - MultiSite Copy Job to one Central Server

Post by MarioM »

Hi,

i have a question regarding best practice in this setup:

I support a multi site environment. There are several locations, each with its own Veeam Installation and local storage. There is also a central location also with a Veeam Server and local backups. All sites are connected via IPsec VPN Tunnels.
Right now there is a backup copy job on each site configured. The central Veeam Server is set up in each installation and is used for this copy job at night.
Adding an offsite Veeam Server to the configuration needs an admin account on the central Veeam Server. Right now all sites use the same admin account for setup.

With this setup each site sees all backup files or all data on the remote central server, due to the admin account used and needed. I have concerns regarding security and want to have this changed.

Is there a better way to have each site use this centralised server, without sacrificing security and enabling each site only to see its own backups? What is the best way to set this up?

Best Regards
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Re: Setup Question - MultiSite Copy Job to one Central Server

Post by karsten123 »

vcc for the enterprise is a option.
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Re: Setup Question - MultiSite Copy Job to one Central Server

Post by skrause »

You may be able to get the functionality you need for your remote sites by using a central backup server and an Enterprise Manager server that the remote site staff use to monitor/manage their backups.

They wouldn't have full VBR console access so some more advanced features (and the basic feature of creating a new job) would be unavailable to them but they will be able to Edit, Clone, Launch, and Restore based on jobs already created.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect